RockWare Support Forum

Can't Open *.rk6 files

I can't open my rk6 files anymore. I've tried importing them and this doesn't seem to work either. Any Help?

This is the message I get

"The file that you are opening appears to be from an older version of RockWorks that does not include the column title information in the file header.

If you are importing a RockWorks97, RockWorks98, or RockWorks99 file, you can import the column titles from the old template files. To do this, check the "Import" button below and then select the appropriate template file.

To use consecutive column numbers (i.e. not import an old template file), leave the "Import" button unchecked.

IMPORTANT: If you save this file, it will no longer be readable by the older versions of the program unless you delete the header information."

Hi Pete,

The error message you are seeing is typically displayed when opening an older-version ATD file into the RockWorks Utilities data window. So there's most likely a mixup with the type of file you are opening, or the place you're trying to open it.

ATD files are data files opened & saved in the Utilities data window. RK6 files are 2D graphic files, openable & savable in RockPlot2D.

First, I'd verify the nature of the file you're trying to open. RK6 files are binary, so if you open one into Notepad, it will display unreadable binary characters. ATD files are text, so if you open one into Notepad, you'll see readable data.

Feel free to email me the file in question and I'm happy to take a look at it. (molly@rockware.com)

Molly

RockWare Inc

Hi Pete,

We haven't made any changes to the RK6 file so I'm not sure what's going on.

Can you create, save and reopen a new RK6 file?

What version of RockWorks are you running? Have you recently installed an update?

Has anything else changed? New computer or operating system? New anti-virus software?

It may also be helpful if you send me one of your files or attach it to this thread.

mitch at rockware dot com

Hi Pete,

The error message you are seeing is typically displayed when opening an older-version ATD file into the RockWorks Utilities data window. So there's most likely a mixup with the type of file you are opening, or the place you're trying to open it.

ATD files are data files opened & saved in the Utilities data window. RK6 files are 2D graphic files, openable & savable in RockPlot2D.

First, I'd verify the nature of the file you're trying to open. RK6 files are binary, so if you open one into Notepad, it will display unreadable binary characters. ATD files are text, so if you open one into Notepad, you'll see readable data.

Feel free to email me the file in question and I'm happy to take a look at it. (molly@rockware.com)

Molly

RockWare Inc

Hi Pete,

We haven't made any changes to the RK6 file so I'm not sure what's going on.

Can you create, save and reopen a new RK6 file?

What version of RockWorks are you running? Have you recently installed an update?

Has anything else changed? New computer or operating system? New anti-virus software?

It may also be helpful if you send me one of your files or attach it to this thread.

mitch at rockware dot com