RockWare Support Forum

Importing *. LAS format data into Rockware 2004

joemcshane

I am a masters student and I need help importing data that is in a *LAS file format into rockware2004. When I try pulling it into geologic utilities gives me a message saying that it is an older format and that the columns are not set. When I pull it in the data it is in one column and not organized. Any help will be greatly appreiciated.

Guest Tofer Lewis

RW2004 cannot read LAS directly. 2006 will and this is becuase LogPlot was always used for .LAS files...

I have to edit LAS files all the time becuase logging and service companies can't spell and everyone uses different names. Use Excel...

First off, rename the .LAS to .TXT or make sure that Excel is looking to open "All File Types" and should should be able to open the .LAS extension. Once Excel is open, it will try and guess the format, I think tab or space is used, you can tell becuase Excel will give you a preview of the data and each curve (DEPT, CALI, GR, ROB etc) will have it's own column. Once each one is set, go ahead and open. You may have try it a couple of times.

Once in Excel, you can copy out the data you need and paste it into RW.

This also helps depending on the LAS file, sometimes there are additional curves that you do not need to see, especially if the tool was running a Gas Wizard or detector. This it may help to keep things easier if you just grab the data you need...

Hope this helps...