RockWare Support Forum

Transfer for Lithology Model to Groundwater Vistas

jpgraham

Hello,

I know this might be a long shot, but I am attempting to transfer my lithology model from RockWorks into the groundwater modeling software Groundwater Vistas, and I was wondering if anyone who has had experience doing this could lend me some tips on the best way to accomplish this. I have approximately 130 km^2 area currently in RockWorks, created from ~500 historical well construction reports and I would like to transfer the data in a text file with XYZ and lithology information, hopefully this will allow easier transfer into Groundwater Vistas.

Any tips or tricks would be beneficial.

Thanks a lot,

Jack Graham

You can export a list of xyz and lithology G-values through the Solid -> Export to ascii menu option.

If you have a list of xyz values for the cells in your MODFLOW model, you can get the lithology g-value for the closest cell to each point using the Solid -> Statistics -> Residuals tool. This will require that you populate a 4th column with fictitious values (I would recommend 0s) to use for the G(observed) input column.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Alison

You would typically get this error if the XYZ location in your ATD file is not within the bounds of the lithology model, or perhaps if it corresponds to a location in the model that has been assigned a null value.

It might be best if you could send the MOD and ATD files to me so that I can take a look. My email address is alison @ rockware.com.

Just to summarize what was going on:

The lithology model had been created with the Lower Grid Surface Filter turned on. This assigned null values to all of the model blocks below the borehole bases. Once this was turned off and the lithology model was rerun, the lower portion of the model was populated, and the NAN values was not returned during the residuals run.

Thanks,

Alison