Solve challenging subsurface flow problems with PetraSim
PetraSim is the graphical interface for the TOUGH2 family of simulators. Developed at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, TOUGH2 and its derivatives are recognized for their powerful simulation capabilities for fluid flow and heat transfer in porous and fractured media.
The TOUGH2 codes have been applied to problems ranging from Yucca mountain groundwater flow to multi-component environmental remediation. PetraSim makes the power of TOUGH2 accessible to modelers through an interactive 3D environment that includes mesh generation, parameter definition, and display of results. PetraSim significantly lowers the barriers to TOUGH2 use by freeing the analyst to focus on the model, while automatically handling the complex details of TOUGH2 input and output files.
PetraSim includes TOUGH2 (version 2), T2VOC, TMVOC, and TOUGHREACT (version 1.2) executables. TOUGH version 2.1 and TOUGHREACT v2.0 are supported with licensing purchased through LBL. PetraSim also includes limited support for TOUGHREACT v3.32 and TOUGH3.
Applications for PetraSim and the simulators it supports include:
- Coupled process modeling (thermal, hydrologic, chemical, mechanical, biological)
- Carbon sequestration and other types of injection
- Performance assessment of nuclear waste repositories
- Geothermal reservoir studies
- Vadose zone hydrology
- Fate and transport of volatile organic compounds
- Design and analysis of laboratory and field experiments