RockWare Support Forum

How import topographic lines in to rockworks?

zabdi3l

There is a Decimate option that will reduce the number of points.

Decimation Interval: This setting is used to reduce the number of points to be imported, which can be helpful if you intend to re-grid the XYZ points. A setting of "1" imports all points. A setting of "2" imports every other point. A setting of "3" imports every third point, and so on.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

- i'm using RW15 on a german WinXP. When i try to import the surface countour lines from DXF file, i get some bullshit in the xyz file, see attachement. E.g. in the first row, only the first 6 digits represent the easting coordinate of the point. Is there a fix for this? I tried a workaround, extracting point coordinates from DXF to XYZ, the import them to Excel ant then to RW.

- Unfortunately, the suface generated by RW does not match the real surface (there is a large river valley with some islands in the river). I tried all algorithms. any clue?

Thanks a lot and greetings from Germany

Cristian

Test 01.txt

Guest Olafsson

Could you upload the DXF-file?

Should the data look like this?

504460 8627163 10,4

504472 8628787 10,4

504484 8630236 10,4

504495 8632054 10,4

504507 8633833 10,4

504520 8635374 10,4

504536 8636815 10,4

504555 8638051 10,4

504568 8639942 10,4

504578 8641983 10,4

504583 8644464 10,4

505636 8645037 10,7

505632 8643621 10,7

505536 8645415 10,7

505636 8641024 10,7

• 4 months later...

Sorry, gentlemen,

the problem becomes actual again. I tried to upload the filtered DXF (only contour lines), but it is some 700 kB zipped and the system does not accept it for upload.

Now there is another issue: i have a lot of permeability data calculated from Lefranc tests, given in cm/s. The values are some 4.5E-4 or similar. If i enter it to the i-data table, i see only zero values. Is there a way to format the columns in the borehole manager to scientific?

By the way, i found it better to input the data via Excel, because the navigation through the fields in RW is really poor. One have to switch permanently from keyboard to mouse (i like to use only the keyboard as much as possible, with a lot of shortcut keys=higher ergonomy, quick data input).

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I uploaded the xlsx and the dxf zipped file on the upload page.

The point is that i use a german WinXP, with german locales, so decimal point is comma. That means, if i export from RW to Excel, comma values are interpreted by Excel as text.

Coming back to the the navigation issue, my workaround is to "edit as spreadsheet" in RW and copy and paste from Excel into it. Works fine. What i meant by keyboard navigation is for example, creating a new borehole and subsequntly enter some data in the other tables, such as stratigraphy. Then i want to create a new borehole and for this i have to click with the mouse. I miss here a keyboard shortcut - or perhaps i didn't found it out yet.

Best regards,

Chris

Thanks a lot Tom!

I followed your instruction with the dxf2xyz and it works. From DXF2XYZ, i delete the commas and then replace the points with commas. Direct import makes some problems, but import through Utilities Sheet - although slow- works.

Indeed, it is a large valley and the "no-contour" area is the water surface of the river. i received some bathymetric survey so i could complete the data and the topo is "in". The hard part is now to model a band of rock, striking from SW to NE.

Sorry for the inaccuracy, the data i enter in the i-data tab are xxE-6 or xxE-7, which are displayed as zero.

Tab key works good, i make extensive use of it. Is it possible to open the drop-down list, say in the lithology or stratigraphy units tab with the keyboard? When i reach it and hit Enter, the field background turns white, but i cannot enter nothing. I have to click on the arrow to open the drop-down list and then using the first letter of the items, i can enter them easily.

Best regards,

Chris