RockWare Support Forum

Rockplot 3D slow rendering

JosephECM

I am using RockPlot 3D14 2009.3.23, and it used to work just fine on my older machine with less memory and consumer based graphics card. Now on my new system with AMD FX8350 8 core 4Ghz processor, 32Gb of ram, and 1Gb AMD Firepro graphics card it is so sluggish I can barely use it. Originally it was set to use software acceleration and I changed that to hardware acceleration with no noticible improvement in rendering performance. It seems like this should be much faster/ smoother given my hardware specs?

Thanks,

Hi Joseph,

I'm sorry but it is difficult for us to gauge how this older version of RockWorks/RockPlot3D will behave on newer computers. (A lot has changed in 6 years!) You are welcome to ZIP your RockPlot3D file, along with any models or other files linked to it, and submit it to our support staff (support at rockware.com) and we can see what might be causing the problem and offer suggestoins.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc

HI Joseph,

there's a couple of possibilities. One is that users with more memory and faster CPU's tend to make bigger models which take more time to draw. We have made some improvements to drawing speed since RW14, especially for Iso-Surfaces.

The second is counter intuitive. OpenGL doesn't scale to multi-threading very well since it uses state based model. It may be that the single thread on your old CPU might have more processing power than one of the cores of your 8 core machine. The good news is that those other cores are free for other applications while you're waiting for RockPlot3D to render.

Though we do offer hardware acceleration most of the processing takes place in the CPU so it offers very little advantage.

BTW Molly got your file and it seems to work fine on her 4 core machine using RockPlot3D 14.

Joseph,

Since it's difficult to trouble-shoot older software, you are welcome to download and install RockWorks16 and see if RockPlot3D16 works any better with this particular file. You can download the demo by going to rockware.com and choosing the Downloads | Demo menu. Locate RockWorks16 in the list and click the small Download link. Fill in the requested information, click Submit, then use the download link on the next page to download the installation program.

After installation, use the Window | RockPlot3D menu option to open a new RockPlot3D window, then use File | Open to open your file. Be sure to specify the older .R3DXML file type in the lower-right part of the window. You'll be prompted to update the file and save - choose Yes, then save a new copy using the new .RW3D file format. (It will not destroy the original file.)

The RockWorks16 EarthApps and viewers (RockPlot2D, 3D, ReportWorks) will remain functional after the 2 week trial period expires.

We are interested in knowing if the new version functions better on your new computer.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

I just installed RW16 demo and I opened the file using the new RockPlot3D It renders smoothly without any of the delay that I experienced using the older RP3D software. Hmm? Maybe I can talk my company into upgrading to the newest version of RW? I will play around with it and see if it makes sense to upgrade?

The newer version of RW will not override my older RW data base when I point to that directory will it?

Hi Joseph,

That is very good news!

RockWorks16 will not open RockWorks14 databases/projects directly. To load any existing projects into the new version you'll need to (1) export your database to ASCII or Excel from '14, (2) create a new blank project folder in '16, then (3) import the data. In the RockWorks16 help, Introduction section, there should be a topic describing this in some detail.

You may be interested in some of the "what's new" videos on our website and on YouTube regarding RW16.

I'll communicate with you via email regarding upgrade pricing.

Best regards,

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.