RockWare Support Forum

Import P-Data to existing borehole

treysis

Hello,

In Rockworks 16, I am trying to import P-Data from an LAS-file to an existing borehole. For this, I open the Borehole Manager, select the desired borehole, change to the P-Data tab, and press the Datasheet button, to open the datasheet in a separate window. Here, I select File -> Import -> LAS File. In the opening dialog I select my LAS file and press "Process". The data will then show up in the datasheet.

However, if I press save, Rockworks will complain with the following error message:

"Could not complete writing changes. Cannot find the Depth column"

So I opened the LAS file in a text editor to inspect the file. The depth column is typically (in my data as well as several sample data that I found throughout the internet) depicted with the keyword "DEPT" (not DEPTH, to be only 4 characters). I figured out, that if I rename the column to "Depth" (exactly this way of upper and lower case letters) I will not get this message anymore when I press save. Instead, I am asked the following:

"Commiting changes
Data has been copied back. Disabled rows will be deleted.
Last chance, keep these changes?"
In this dialog I press yes, Rockworks is doing some work, closing the datasheet windows and switching back to the P-Data tab of the borehole. The problem: the data will not be copied from the datasheet window into the table in the P-Data tab.
If I enter data manually in the datasheet window, the data is copied over though. I assume this is a bug. I have only tried it with LAS files.
If I use the File -> Import -> LAS -> One file... import option from the Borehole Manager, the import works fine, and also the spelling of the DEPT column is recognized. The problem with this way of importing is, is that it will overwrite the location data of my borehole, and I have to manually enter it again. Since I don't have the LAS file from the beginning, and only after some time, I would like to set up all my boreholes before, and later import this data.
Is this the expected behavior? I doubt it. Or am I doing something wrong in my workflow?

Hi Treysis,

Welcome to the forum.

You should use the Borehole Manager's File | Import | LAS program rather than importing via the datasheet editor - this assures that the LAS data will post correctly to the database.

Regarding losing the borehole locations, in the LAS import's Finalize Import Options window, you can right-click on the Easting and Northing and Elevaton prompts and choose Read from Database to have those existing coordinates populate the import fields. (Click on the Help button in this import screen for more details.)

Hope this helps.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

Sorry for the confusion. The Datasheet editor in the borehole database is primarily designed for copy-pasting data (e.g. from Excel) for that table for that borehole. Because this little editor is basically the same beast as the main Utilities datasheet, all of the same data options, including imports, are visible. It can get tricky when you import something unrelated to or structured differently than the data that needs to be posted back to the database on closing the editor window - kind of a square-peg-round-hole issue.

Perhaps trying to be efficient by sharing code in multiple places in the program has made it more rather than less confusing. I'll see if the programmers have any ideas. I'll also see if there is a more visible way for the borehole coordinates to be retrievable during the database LAS import. The right-click option I mentioned is documented in the Help, but a big button might be more intuitive.

Thanks for your feedback.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

Good morning,

I am also have an issue importing my P-data. The difference is I am creating new projects and importing new boreholes. All the other information is importing correctly... location, stratigraphy, lithology etc...

I am setting up my excel tab as follows:

Borehole, depth, Gamma, total Gas

A 5063 93 104

A 5064 82 93

I am also going to the types column and defining column names.

Every time I hit the P-data tab it freezes.

Am I setting up my excel data wrong?

Thanks,

Raechel

If you are using the Borehole Manager's File | Import | Excel | Multiple Tables to import from many worksheets at the same time, then the P-Data worksheet needs to be formatted differently:

Bore Type Depth Value

DH-01 Gamma 0.0 74.1
DH-01 Gamma 0.5 34.5
DH-01 Gamma 1.0 73.6
DH-01 Resistivity 0.0 188.2
DH-01 Resistivity 0.5 57.6
DH-01 Resistivity 1.0 177.3
DH-02 Gamma 0.0 31.8
DH-02 Gamma 0.5 37.7
DH-02 Gamma 1.0 46.7
DH-02 Resistivity 0.0 99.6
DH-02 Resistivity 0.5 110.1
DH-02 Resistivity 1.0 112.3
(etc.)
You might look at the "RockWorks data import.xlsx" installed in the Samples folder for an example. The P-Data worksheet needs to be sorted by borehole name, then by track name, then by depth.
If you prefer to keep your spreadsheet in the format you described:
Bore Depth Gamma Resistivity
DH-01 0.0 74.1 188.2
DH-01 0.5 34.5 57.6
DH-01 1.0 73.6 177.3
DH-02 0.0 31.8 99.6
DH-02 0.5 37.7 110.1
DH-02 1.0 46.7 112.3
Then you can import those tracks using a different import program: File | Import | Excel | Single Tables | Excel -> P-Data. This imports for the p-data table only. It assumes that the boreholes being referenced already exist in the database. This gives you much more flexibility in the import data layout.
Many users use a combination of the various import programs in RockWorks, depending on where/how the data is currently stored/formatted.
For further data-specific questions, please email the spreadsheet you are importing to us at tech at rockware.com
Molly Mayfield
RockWare Inc.

Thank you!

I will probably end up doing a combination as well since I need to go back and add P-data to already existing bores.

Do the depths have to start from zero? I tried creating new boreholes with the layout you suggested and it is still freezing up...

Maybe tomorrow I will email my spreadsheet in to see if im just missing something...

Raechel

Hi Raechel,

No the depths don't have to start at zero.

At this point it would be best to have you email us:

1) Your current database and settings: use the Borehole Manager's File | Archive Database to Text - this creates a ZIP file.

2) The spreadsheet(s) you are trying to import - you can drag them into that ZIP file.

Please email this to: tech at rockware.com

Thanks

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.