RockWare Support Forum

Multiple striplogs of deviated wells against TVD

JuDi

What is the best way to show multiple deviated wells side by side plotted against TVD?

Using view direction (even in case of more or less constant azimuth) cannot really be used, to be able to compare various logs against each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the Striplog | profile shows the boreholes in TVD, but for visual comparison it is often easier - especially with strong deviated wells - to see the logs projected as vertical line, side by side.

Regards,
Julia

Tom,

that is a useful hint, that works - until the "TVD log" feature (I recall now that it is on the wish list) is implemented.

(Still a bit tedious if the logs are close to each other, needs further shifting of location of duplicate well or shifting of plotted items).

Thanks,

Julia

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I have experienced the same difficulty that Julia mentions. Just as Tom suggests, the only that I have found to create vertical logs of deviated well data is to make a copy of the well and change the azimuth to a constant value. However, I have found that setting the azimuth parallel to the view direction rather than perpendicular to it works fine for me.

Regardless, a TVD log feature is imperative for a program like Rockworks and should be an "out of the box tool". For example, I believe that STRATER comes with the capability to create TVD logs alongside MD logs with no problem. This should not be a complicated change for Rockworks.

Edward