RockWare Support Forum

Importing images to Rockworks 2D

Edward Hakanson

Hi,

I am importing a photo to Rockworks using the Import/Raster Image/ option and when I save the image it increases the size from 1Mb to 10 Mb. I experienced a similar problema when rectifying images previously and when I reported it, Rockworks kindly modified the file format the Rockworks produces from .RAW to .png and the like. Could it be posible that the same problema is being presented here? Oh, by the way, I think that It was Molly that helped me out the last time.

Hi Edward,

RockPlot2D is storing your raster image as a PNG file thanks to the previous changes you mentioned. The one possibility I can think of that the file is so much larger is that the original format is much more compact (1 bit Tiff for example) than a true color PNG (internal format). If that's not the case then please send a copy of your original image to support@rockware.com.

The problem is that we're using PNG as our internal storage format which isn't as efficient as JPG, especially for photos where there is a very large number of colors.

JPG is a lossy format which loses quality with compression and gets worse every time it is saved.

PNG is a lossless format which means you don't lose quality with compression which is why we use it.

Every choice is a compromise and in this case we chose quality over size.