RockWare Support Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. How to determine the correct Enthalpy

I would recommend that you take a look at a steam table (assuming you are injecting water) to get an idea of enthalpy at various pressure and temperature combinations. I am not able to post links on this website, but if you do a Google Search for "spirax sarco steam table", you should be able to get to a series of online calculators. If you are trying to inject at a constant temperature, you should know that the enthalpy needed to maintain a specific injection temperature changes with pressure. So, it can be tricky to inject at a constant temperature in TOUGH2. One option would be to anticipate the enthalpy changes needed to maintain a temperature as pressure goes up and down (and vary it with time). You can also assigning a very large density such as 1e40 (this gives the material a very large heat capacity). If you do this, then the fluid leaving the injection cell will always have the same temperature as the initial temperature of the injection cell.
  3. How to determine the correct Enthalpy

In addition, I wish I can know what the differences between heat in and Enthalpy
  4. Recently, I have build a model by tough2 I want to simulate a case that described the geothermal fluid inject to fracture rock. The fluid temperature is about 190~280 ℃, and the rate is about 3E-5 kg/s; How can i determine the enthalpy if I use INJECTION? I have tried many enthalpies, some will lead to model abnormal, and some only last a low temperature. Thanks
  5. Borehole Location and Data in Section Map

Hi Dicranurs, To plot a borehole location map in the Borehole Manager tab, choose the Map | Borehole Locations menu. To transfer borehole data to the utilities data sheet, click on the Borehole Manager tab and choose the File | Transfer | Locations -> Utilities Datasheet menu. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  6. I have a couple of related quests in regards to plotting borehole locations and data in a Section Map. I have created a Section Map using the Utilities Tap in RW17. For borehole locations and data to plot on the Section Map, does that data have to be in a Utilities section Data Sheet. I have borehole data in the Borehole manager. How do I get the boreholes to plot in the Section Map? Thanks for your help. Mike
  7. Last week
  8. Hi all, Recently I'm trying to build an simple model for rainfall filtration in vadose zone with EOS3. According to TOUGH2 training material, it seems that to set up an atmospheric boundary condition with evaporation needs the following steps: 1) specify an single atmospheric element with large volume and small nodal distance at land surface. 2) Use single phase gas model to simulate atmospheric boundary with less than 100% RH. 3) Use ICP (1) in EOS3 in atmospheric element in which a very strong Pc is estimated based on Kelvin's law. 4) Specify evaporation and infiltration rate in row of elements below the atmospheric boundary element using the GENER Block. When I follow these steps to set up an atmosphere BC and try to simulate the filtration into vadose zone for one year with annual climate data, I met the following problems: 1. How to give an reasonable daily evaporation rate in the model according to the climate data? Use the net filtration rate as injection (rainfall-evaporation) or Put rainfall as injection and evaporation as production separately? 2. When I use single phase gas model for atmosphere boundary, the model doesn't work. Instead if I use two phase model at the atmosphere boundary with an extreme large porosity and low water saturation, then it works. 3. If I need to simulate the filtration in a long term (50 years for example) by assuming every year has the same annual climate data, how could I give an reasonable rainfall and evaporation rate? So Any ideas? I also attached my climate data and sim file for reference. Thanks! Junjian data.zip
  9. Rockware Land Base

Jim Thanks! that did the trick. Now all I need to do is to get my wells to plot on the section map. Mike
  10. Rockware Land Base

Thanks Jim I'll give it try and post the results. Mike
  11. Rockware Land Base

RockWorks 17 State Plane is assuming NAD83 not NAD27. You can change your State Plane basis. Under Settings | Coordinates you can Reassign your coordinates: choose the Other coordinates (make sure the radio button is on for Other), then click on the "Set Parameters" drop-down button, and choose "Select from a list". In the search box type "Missi" and you will get a list of the EPSG codes for Mississippi, pick the one that suit you best (Looks like <26795> NAD27 / Mississippi West). Click OK after choosing and then Finish. Now RockWorks will be set for the correct projection and your PLSS Township and Range should plot where you expect them. -Jim
  12. Rockware Land Base

I have downloaded the Rockware Land Base and attempted to load the Township and Range data for my project. The project is located in SW Mississippi and the project is using the the NAD27 Datum and Western Mississippi State Plane Projection. Once loaded the the Township and Ranges plot many miles east of my well data. Im pretty sure I used the correct Prime Meridian and Townships. Is the Rockware Land Base data in a different Datum and Projection? If so can I change it to match my project? Thanks for your help. Mike
  13. Earlier
  14. LogPlot8 2019.10.31

New versions of LogPlot8 (32-bit and 64-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today with the following changes: Bug Fix The symbol "<" (less than) was being converted "& lt;" for edit-text data. Updated Network License Requirements The LogPlot 8 Network license requires version 1.09 or higher of the RockWare License Manager. Contact [email protected] for a link to the the latest version. You can also refer to the complete LogPlot revision list: https://www.rockware.com/rockworks/revisions/current_logplot_revisions.htm To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside LogPlot8. Or visit the LogPlot Free Trial tab (https://www.rockware.com/product/logplot/) where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT UNINSTALL first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired before October 2019. If you would like to renew your maintenance, contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer) and either create a new account (new visitors) or log in with your existing account. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  15. New versions of RockWorks17 (64- and 32-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today, with the following changes: New Feature Anchor Text is now used in 2D Logs and users can specify a border and fill color. Anchor Text in RockPlot2D can now be plotted at an angle. Added the ability to copy the datagrid results for the Single Well Drawdown. Right click and select Copy All or just use Ctrl+C. Bug Fixes The Convert Units option in the Striplog2D Depth bar now also converts the elevation if included. Adjusted the positioning of 2D Striplog Anchor Text. Turned off the leader lines. In RockPlot3D Continuous Color Legends were drawing the values in the wrong order. Updated Network License Requirements The RockWorks 17 Network license requires version 1.09 or higher of the RockWare License Manager. Contact [email protected] for a link to the the latest version. The RockWorks Revision History has a complete list, by date, of all changes in the program. To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside RockWorks17. Or visit our website and click on the RockWorks Free Trial tab: https://www.rockware.com/product/rockworks/#tab-product_inquire_form_1494_tab where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT uninstall first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired before October 2019. Contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer/) if you would like to update your maintenance. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  16. Importing excel

Hi Archana, I cannot duplicate the problem with our files. You are welcome to send your files and a description of the procedure that you perform to [email protected], and I will follow your description to reproduce the problem. Include the LDFX, DAT, and Excel files. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  17. Importing excel

Hello all, I had created a design template and corresponding data template initially which worked well while exporting and importing. However, I had to make some revisions to the design template that lead to changes in data too. So I exported the new data template in excel format. However, this excel sheet does not get imported, though i am still able to import the initial excel sheet. I tried creating the new data template directly from the design window as well as on my own. The excel sheet exported from either of them cannot be imported. Please tell me how to solve this issue. Regards Archana
  18. LNAPL and Aquifer surfaces

Hi Kahn, It looks like you are modeling the LNAPL surface floating on top of the groundwater surface. In areas where the LNAPL is absent, RockWorks searches the entire project area for data. To restrict the LNAPL surface to the area that has data, model it separately and specify a Max Distance filter in the Additional Options section of the Gridding Options menu. Another option is to use Polygon Clipping to clip the RwGrd file to the inside of a polygon. Create a Polygon Table with the XY coordinates of the polygon boundary, then choose the Utilities Grid | Filters | Polygon Clip menu to clip the LNAPL grid. You could also try a different modeling algorithm, such as Triangulation, that restricts the surface to the convex hull surrounding the data. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  19. LNAPL and Aquifer surfaces

I have one more issue I am trying to figure out. We want to show LNAPL overlaying the shallow aquifer so I created 2 "aquifers", one for product and one for groundwater. However, when I model the LNAPL aquifer it has holes where the aquifer pinches out (see image below), which makes sense for groundwater but not for product. Ideally, the product would appear more like bullseyes and not extend to the edge of the model area. Do you know of a way to address this? Thanks again for your help!
  20. Programming suggestion for striplogs

Hi David, Copying orientation data to the zero depth is useful for your data, but this procedure may introduce errors for other sources of orientation data. I will add your request for this option to the suggestion file. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  21. Programming suggestion for striplogs

I suggest that in the processing of orientation data, if there is no value at 0 depth, but there IS survey data starting deeper, that the default be to assign the next present azi and inclination to the interval starting at 0 depth. However, if there is NO orientation data at all, then keep the default case to be the assumption that the hole is vertical, as is now done. As often as not, when I am given orientation data, for drill holes in which there are data, the orientation was not entered for the 0 depth. It must be that Minesight and other commonly used programs do what I am suggesting. I typically only spot this after I start making sections and see the dogleg drillhole traces.
  22. Hi Kahn, Use the Aquifers | Model menu command in the Borehole Manager to plot the aquifers as surfaces. Save the RockPlot3D .Rw3D file, then append the Lithology fence diagram. You may want to turn off the sides and bases of each aquifer to make the diagram less cluttered. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  23. Good Afternoon, I have created a lithology fence diagram (see attached) and would like to show two aquifers as surfaces. Currently only one aquifer is appearing as a blue line on the fence diagram. I have 2 questions. First, I used the Plot Surface Profile function in the lithology fence diagram section to plot the first aquifer. Is there a way to show this as a surface and not just a line? Second, the other aquifer is not continuous and only shows the thickness in each individual well (yellow). I can't figure out how to use the Plot Surface Profile function to show both aquifers. Thanks for your help! Kat
  24. With the September 2019 update to RockWorks 17 and LogPlot 8, the Network versions now require version 1.09 or higher of the RockWare License Manager. If you get this error, contact [email protected] to get the download link for the current version. The graphic below applies to RockWorks17, but the error occurs with both LogPlot8 and RockWorks17. Warning! Could not obtain network license from server for RockWorks17. Message The License server must be at least version 1.09, current version is 1.0x If you have any questions, contact [email protected] Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  25. With the September 2019 update to LogPlot 8 and RockWorks 17, the Network versions now require version 1.09 or higher of the RockWare License Manager. If you get this error, contact [email protected] to get the download link for the current version. The graphic below applies to RockWorks17, but the error occurs with both LogPlot8 and RockWorks17. Warning! Could not obtain network license from server for LogPlot8. Message The License server must be at least version 1.09, current version is 1.0x If you have any questions, contact [email protected] Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  26. LogPlot8 2019.9.30

New versions of LogPlot8 (32-bit and 64-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today with the following changes: Bug Fix CrossPlot curves with no data caused an Argument Our of Range error. Updated Network License Requirements The LogPlot 8 Network license requires version 1.09 or higher of the RockWare License Manager. Contact [email protected] for a link to the the latest version. You can also refer to the complete LogPlot revision list: https://www.rockware.com/rockworks/revisions/current_logplot_revisions.htm To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside LogPlot8. Or visit the LogPlot Free Trial tab (https://www.rockware.com/product/logplot/) where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT UNINSTALL first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired before September 2019. If you would like to renew your maintenance, contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer) and either create a new account (new visitors) or log in with your existing account. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  27. New versions of RockWorks17 (64- and 32-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today, with the following changes: New Feature Layers in RockPlot2D can now be dragged. This does not effect the drawing order but does allow a different organization. Updated Network License Requirements The RockWorks 17 Network license requires version 1.09 or higher of the RockWare License Manager. Contact [email protected] for a link to the the latest version. The RockWorks Revision History has a complete list, by date, of all changes in the program. To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside RockWorks17. Or visit our website and click on the RockWorks Free Trial tab: https://www.rockware.com/product/rockworks/#tab-product_inquire_form_1494_tab where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT uninstall first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired before September 2019. Contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer/) if you would like to update your maintenance. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  28. Lithology Sections

Hi Katherine - you are most welcome! Glad it's working for you. Molly
  1. Load more activity