RockWare Support Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Striplogs in profiles...multiple bar charts

Hi David, I-Data values for different data types do not have to have the same "from-to" depths. They can cover any interval. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  3. On 2D profiles, I want to plot "I data" bar chart, Lithology and alteration intensity (1-6 scale) for each drill hole. I can'd load the alteration values as if they were another "I data" field because the to-from is different than the I data to-from. First I thought to load alteration as "stratigraphy" but the values are chaotic and repeat which is not allowed for Stratigraphy . If I load alteration as "T data" can I display it in addition to the "I data" bar chart?
  4. Earlier
  5. LogPlot8 2019.8.29

New versions of LogPlot8 (32-bit and 64-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today with the following changes: Bug Fix The Crossplot lines were being plotted as a full polygon. You can also refer to the complete LogPlot revision list: https://www.rockware.com/rockworks/revisions/current_logplot_revisions.htm To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside LogPlot8. Or visit the LogPlot Free Trial tab (https://www.rockware.com/product/logplot/) where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT UNINSTALL first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired before August 2019. If you would like to renew your maintenance, contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer) and either create a new account (new visitors) or log in with your existing account. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  6. New versions of RockWorks17 (64- and 32-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today, with the following changes: New Feature Logarithmic histograms can have a constant bin size or a variable bin size that appear equal-sized when shown on the logarithmic scale Improvement When creating T-Data models, RockWorks will look for any T-Data intervals in which the Depth-to-Top is -9999 and the Depth-to-Base is -9999 and temporarily change these depths such that the Depth-to-Top is zero and the Depth-to-Base is the TD. Bug Fixes Transparency for RockPlot3D Groups was not being saved. The RockPlot3D Color Legends using tables weren't plotting all the labels. The Export of multiple tables (ASCII & Excel) works when there are comments for the Borehole. Eliminated an extra label for RockPlot3D Color Legends based on continuous tables. The global settings for the number of decimal places for meters and feet was used in reversed in some places (spec Project dimensions). RockWorks17 will now skip any borehole T-Data in which a null value has been imported for the sample date. In RockPlot2D pattern filled polygons that have a width or height of 0 in pixels weren't clipped correctly. The intermediate grids were not being saved when creating a Direct Color grid leading to a File Not Found error. Vertical Image Panels to XYZ wasn't scaling the Z coordinates correctly. The Vertical Panels to XYZ program using horizontal and vertical distance now correctly generates XYZ Color output. The RockWorks Revision History has a complete list, by date, of these changes since the last update. To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside RockWorks17. Or visit our website and click on the RockWorks Free Trial tab: https://www.rockware.com/product/rockworks/#tab-product_inquire_form_1494_tab where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT uninstall first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired before August 2019. Contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer/) if you would like to update your maintenance. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  7. Importing DEM

Hi Katherine, Using UTM or State Plane is better than decimal degrees for vertical plot scaling, distance, area, and volume calculation. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  8. Importing DEM

Thank you Tom! Is there a reason that I don’t want to leave it in decimal degree? Is it better to use a UTM coordinate system? Thanks again for all of your help. Katherine
  9. Importing DEM

Hi Kat, Thanks for sending the files. DEM.txt has the format: ELEV_M <tab> LONG <tab> LAT Import this file into the RockWorks Utilities datasheet. Right-click on the gray column headers to define DEPTH as Z meters and LONG and LAT as X or Y Decimal Degrees. Convert the Lat/Long to your project coordinate system, e.g. UTM Zone 13 m. Scan the datasheet to change the project dimensions if needed. Use the Map | Grid-Based Map menu to make a RockWorks RwGrd file and 2D and 3D maps. PA_069418005_POINTGRID_ZOOM.txt has the format: OBJECTID <tab> pointid <tab> grid_code <tab> ELEV_FT <tab> ELEV_M <tab> LONG <tab> LAT Follow the instructions above to get a RockWorks RwGrd file. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  10. Importing DEM

Hi Kahn, It sounds like your DEM is not in the specified DEM format. You are welcome to send your file to [email protected] and we'll take a look to see if we can identify the format and recommend a conversion procedure. Include the Input Format that you select, and any information you have about your file. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  11. I am trying to import a DEM into utilities so that I can create a surface and pull a cross section from it. I keep trying to import the txt file and get the error “ is not a valid integer value. I have searched the text and don’t see “ anywhere in the document. Any ideas?
  12. CO2TAB file in ECO2N

ECO2N V.1.0 (Pruess, 2005, ECO2N: A TOUGH2 Fluid Property Module for Mixtures of Water, NaCl, and CO2) was developed primarily to simulate the geologic CO2 disposal in sedimentary environments at temperatures below 110°C. The EOS uses a slightly modified version of the phase equilibria developed by Spycher and Pruess (2005) for H2O-NaCl-CO2 mixtures. The approach followed for the phase equilibria, which gives the mutual solubilities of CO2 in the aqueous phase and of H2O in the CO2-rich non-aqueous phase, cannot be used at higher temperatures. Thus, simply extending the temperature range of CO2TAB file is not enough to perform reliable simulations of CO2 injection in EGS. ECO2N V.2 (Pan et al., 2015, ECO2N V2.0: A TOUGH2 Fluid Property Module for Mixtures of Water, NaCl, and CO2) has been developed for these applications. Alfredo
  13. My previous post was not entirely correct: ECO2 and ECO2N actually use XS (=XSM) as the mass fraction of NaCl in the binary mixture H2O-NaCl. Alfredo
  14. The primary variable Xsm is used in the EWASG EOS module. Depending on its value, it can be (see the TOUGH2 V.2.0 user's guide (Pruess et al., 1999) pag. 55-56): - XS, the mass fraction of NaCl in the aqueous phase (0-1); - SS+10, the solid salt saturation (10-11). With the same meaning Xsm is also used in the old ECO2 and in ECO2N. Starting with Petrasim 2017, in EWASG XS can be the mass fraction of NaCl in either the aqueous or gas phase, as the very small solubility of salt in the water vapor is accounted for. In practice: XS = kg NaCl over kg solution, that is kg of NaCl+water+NCG. Alfredo
  15. Citing RockWorks

Hi Ehsan, Usually the journal where the paper is published has a style guide, but here is an example from the web page "How to Cite Software APA Style" and the nova.edu page "How to Cite Sources: APA Style". Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc. RockWorks17 (Revision 2019.7.30) [Software]. 2019. Golden CO USA: RockWare, Inc. Available from https://www.rockware.com/product/rockworks/ RockWorks17 (Revision 2019.7.30) [Software Help Files]. 2019. Golden CO USA: RockWare, Inc. https://help.rockware.com/rockworks17/WebHelp/introduction.htm
  16. Citing RockWorks

Hi There, How can we properly cite RockWorks software package in our papers? What about the software Help? Best, Ehsan
  17. How to calculate the mechanical dispersion

TOUGH2 (Pruess et al., 1999) does not simulate the mechanical dispersion. It simulates just the molecular diffusion. Full hydrodynamic dispersion is simulated by TOUGH2 in 2D cartesian geometries by coupling the T2DM module (Oldenburg C.M e Pruess K. (1993). A two-dimensional dispersion module for the TOUGH2 simulator. Earth Sci. Div., Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory report LBL-32505, Berkeley, CA.) Full hydrodynamic dispersion can be simulated in 3D non structured grids by a special version of TOUGH2 called T2R3D (Wu Y-S, Pruess K. (2000). Numerical simulation of non-isothermal multiphase tracer transport in heterogeneous fractured porous media. Adv. in Water Resour., 699-723.) For a cartesian grid, for which the IFD method is equivalent to the finite difference method, the numerical dispersion induced by the space discretization is equivalent to the mechanical dispersion for which the longitudinal dispersion coefficient is half of grid spacing (Bear, 1979). Emulating the mechanical dispersion with grid spacing can work only for very simple cartesian grid geometries. Alfredo
  18. MINC can be used to simulate nested media with different properties, not necessarily only fractures surrounding matrix blocks. An example of that is the use of MINC described by Falta R.W. (2000). Numerical modeling of kinetic interphase mass transfer during air sparging. Water Resources Research, 36, 12, p. 3391-3400. Alfredo
  19. Effective or Total Porosity in TOUGH2 EOS1

TOUGH2 (Pruess et al., 1999) does not distinguish between 'total' and 'effective' porosity. A look to the way the mass balance equations are written shows that 'total' porosity is used. I was working with an in-house version of TOUGH2 to simulate the waterflooding (with a polymer) in oil reservoirs, and we had the need to account for a fraction of the pore volume which is not directy displaced by the injected fluid. Actually, we wanted to simulate that a fraction of the water saturation (the connate water saturation) was not displaced by the polymer solution. We tested two different approaches: 1. use a dead pore volume approach, following what is done in ECLIPSE by Schlumberger. The accumulation term for the polymer was modified as shown below. , where Sdpv is the dead pore volume water saturation. 2. use a MINC approach with 2 nested media. The internal one was emulating the fraction of pore volume not directly accessible to the injected fluid, actually that containing the connate water. The other was representing the effective porosity. The approach was inspired to the work by Falta (2000) Numerical modeling of kinetic interphase mass transfer during air sparging. Water Resources Research, 36, 12, p. 3391-3400. By a proper choice of model parameters, the two approaches were equivalent as far as the transport of polymer is concerned. Of course the MINC approach makes directly inaccessible the 'connate' water to all the mass components simulated. The first approach requires the modification of source code. The second one can be used with the standard TOUGH2 version, but requires the doubling of the element number. Alfredo
  20. Horizontal scaling of 2D StripLog section

Hi Jan, To prevent the logs from overlapping, decrease the width of the columns in the 2D Striplog Designer Column Layout for each item or change the Borehole Spacing to Uniform (Constant) Distance. Regards, Tom B
  21. What TOUGH2 does not like is to solve the mass balance of a component which is not present at all in a grid block. For this reason initializing a non zero mass fraction of water 2 allows to proceed with the simulation. Actually, initial concentrations much lower than 0.01 can be succesfully used. Again, in case of injection (sources), if pure water is injected for long times the mass fraction of water 2 can be reduced to 0. All sources should not inject just water, but also a tiny fraction of water 2, adding an additional source. This problem is in principle present in all the EOS with more than just one component. Alfredo
  22. Hello everyone, I'm kind of a novice RockWorks user, working with a coring database of c. 250 shallow (<10 m) cores. When I try to create a 'true-distance' striplog of c. 40 cores over a length of c. 6 km, I found all my cores plotted overlapping each other as illustrated in the example image. I'm sure I'm overlooking a certain setting to set the horizontal x-axis scale. When I draw only a part of the section, e.g. with a length of 1 km, all cores plot just fine. It is perhaps good to mention that I'm currently working on a 13" laptop - not ideal, but is it possible that this issue is caused by my screen-size? Hopefully one you guys or girls can help me out with this. All help and suggestions are much appreciated! Best regards, Jan Rockplot - untitled.pdf
  23. New versions of RockWorks17 (64- and 32-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today, with the following changes: Improvement RockPlot2D Color Legends using a table now have margins and text placement that more closely match the continuous color schemes. Bug Fixes Null values were rendered transparent when the object was using a color table. RockPlot2D Color Legends using a color table weren't leaving a margin. The RockWorks Revision History has a complete list, by date, of these changes since the last update. To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside RockWorks17. Or visit our website and click on the RockWorks Free Trial tab: https://www.rockware.com/product/rockworks/#tab-product_inquire_form_1494_tab where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT uninstall first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired before July 2019. Contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer/) if you would like to update your maintenance. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  24. LogPlot8 2019.7.31

New versions of LogPlot8 (32-bit and 64-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today with the following changes: Bug Fixes Lithology Description margins cannot now be less than 0 since they cause offset lines outside of the column. Comments in Lithology Descriptions could plot the wrong text if an interval had nothing to plot. Lines in Curves and CrossPlots can now exceed 32000 points. Lithology Description comments with no text were causing comments to be plotted at the wrong depth. Vertical body lines were being shortened if the Lithology Description stopped short of the Total Depth. For a complete list of recent changes, please visit: https://www.rockware.com/rockworks/revisions/current_logplot_revisions.htm To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside LogPlot8. Or visit the LogPlot Free Trial tab (https://www.rockware.com/product/logplot/) where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT UNINSTALL first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired. If you would like to renew your maintenance, contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer) and either create a new account (new visitors) or log in with your existing account. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  25. Ternary Diagrams

That worked. Thanks!
  26. Ternary Diagrams

Hi Alison, It looks like your cell size is pretty big, resulting in a low resolution grid of about 10 cells in each direction. I used a cell spacing of 10, resulting in 101 cells in the X direction and 87 cells in the Y direction. . Compare contour maps with different grid cell spacing / size / number. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  27. Ternary Diagrams

Thanks, Tom! When I try this the grid doesn't clip entirely within the polygon (see attached). I used the null value under Filter type/Exterior and I used the triangle vertices to build the polygon. Is this a gridding algorithm issue or something else? Allison plasticity ternary_w contours.Rw2D
  1. Load more activity