RockWare Support Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Hi tdvw, You may be able to use the Triangulation gridding method to better represent discontinuities in the section. Note the pinchout of the blue unit below. . Triangulation produces angular contours, so it is not the best choice for a contour map. The Stratigraphy grids can be filtered with a polygon, but filtering may create gaps with adjacent formations. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  3. Well Construction in Lithology Sections

Hi Kahn, When you specify non-zero inner and outer diameters for Well Construction data, RockWorks plots duplicate patterns to visualize the borehole. For example a bentonite pack is shown duplicated along the centerline of the borehole with a blank space for other objects such as a well screen. . Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  4. 3D buffer

Hi there, Is it possible to create 3D buffer zones around fault ribbons and convert them into a Boolean model? Thanks in advance for your help
  5. Dear Tom, I am modelling in Rockworks a stratigraphic model, but at certain locations there is an old river channel which is filled up locally. At those locations, it cuts through the surrounding layers and these layers are disappearing. At the moment it is modelled af if the layers bend underneath it, but I would like the layers to stop at the channel. I have added an image with the current output and the desired output. Is this possible by settings in the stratigraphic modelling options ? Or should it be done with polygon clipping? I don't have a polygon of the channel (I would be able to guess where it is situated). This occurs at more than one location. I would love to hear from you and thank you in advance. Kind regards, Thaïsa
  6. Last week
  7. Hi, I have created a lithology section in Rockworks17 and would like to add the well construction details. When I add well construction to the visible items in the 2D Striplog Designer and check the Plot Logs box before processing the section, it shows 2 identical well constructions for each boring. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks for your help!
  8. Earlier
  9. The GRDECL import should work with simple mesh configurations. Here are a few suggestions: 1. Cell Layers should be continuous. If cell layers truncate against upper or lower boundaries or internal surfaces, the import will likely not work. 2. You need to be sure that the cell boundaries are rectangular and oriented along the x and y axes. If the cells are oriented at an angle to the axes, the import will not work. 3. The program only imports mesh geometry and porosity values. Other material parameters will be ignored. If you continue to have problems, please send your GRDECL file to alison @ rockware.com, and I will take a look at it. Best Regards, Alison
  10. New versions of RockWorks17 (64- and 32-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today, with the following changes: Bug Fixes Saving a RockPlot3D scene with Color Table-based Legend caused an Access Violation. Changing tables in a RockPlot3D Color Table-based Legend now changes to the new table. Labels for a RockPlot3D Color Table-based Legend now display correctly. The RockWorks Revision History has a complete list, by date, of these changes since the last update. To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside RockWorks17. Or visit our website and click on the RockWorks Free Trial tab: https://www.rockware.com/product/rockworks/#tab-product_inquire_form_1494_tab where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT uninstall first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired before July 2019. Contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer/) if you would like to update your maintenance. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  11. Hello, I'm actually working on a 3D model at the basin scale in Petrel (2018.2). I wanted to know if their is any way to export the model on PetraSim or tough2. I tried the "Load data from Petrel" option in PetraSim, but it seems it doesn't load anything with the Eclipse ASCII format. Here are the bug reports: |File Name |Message |Value Type | ==================================================================================================================================================== |C:\Users\test grid petrel\test ECLIPSE extended grid.egrid |Unable to generate mesh data. |UNKNOWN | |C:\Users\test grid petrel\test ECLIPSE extended grid.egrid |Unable to save Petrel data. No mesh found. |UNKNOWN | I tested this import with different inputs, but i allways end up with this message, even when I try to only import the mesh without numerical values. Thank you.
  12. Volume calculations

Hi Jose, Sorry, but I cannot duplicate your results with the Isosurface or Voxel models. I get the predicted results with the manual calculation. You are welcome to send to [email protected] your .RwMod files and the .RCL files saved with the hammer and wrench icon in the upper left corner for each run and I will take a look. Larger files may be uploaded to https://rockware.com/upload Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  13. LogPlot8 2019.6.27

New versions of LogPlot8 (32-bit and 64-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today with the following changes: Bug Fixes Importing selected patterns overwrote the entire pattern file. Comments were occasionally omitted from the compiled log. For a complete list of recent changes, please visit: https://www.rockware.com/rockworks/revisions/current_logplot_revisions.htm To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside LogPlot8. Or visit the LogPlot Free Trial tab (https://www.rockware.com/product/logplot/) where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT UNINSTALL first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired. If you would like to renew your maintenance, contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer) and either create a new account (new visitors) or log in with your existing account. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  14. New versions of RockWorks17 (64- and 32-bit) were uploaded to the RockWare website today, with the following changes: Bug Fixes Printing from RockPlot3D sometimes produced black pages. Importing a DXF file into a RockPlot3D scene with a raster image caused a "File not found" message. Importing selected patterns overwrote the entire pattern file. RockPlot3D now uses the Custom Color Table stored in the Rw3D file before looking for the Color Table name in the project database. Solid Modeling Decluster RCL options were not always being saved when output to a file or display. The RockWorks Revision History has a complete list, by date, of these changes since the last update. To download this build, use the Help | Check for Updates menu inside RockWorks17. Or visit our website and click on the RockWorks Free Trial tab: https://www.rockware.com/product/rockworks/#tab-product_inquire_form_1494_tab where you can download the installation program and install the new build right over the top of the existing program. (DO NOT uninstall first.) Note that you will not be able to use this new build of the program if your maintenance has expired before June 2019. Contact RockWare Sales or visit our Customer Portal (https://www.rockware.com/customer/) if you would like to update your maintenance. Molly Mayfield RockWare Inc
  15. Volume calculations

Hello, TomB. I'm also using the volume reported in the properties in RockPlot3D, but, Initially i created the models as isosurfaces, so when i indicated the results above as "5:..., 4:..., 3:..." 5 would be a filter from 5 to 5 4 would be a filter from 4 to 5 3 would be a filter from 3 to 5... And so on. With the voxels option when creating the 3-D model it is indeed much easier to filter the desired results. In test number one, if i wanted the volume of interval 4 only i would have to subtract 1520 - 800 = 720 m3 (this would be the result of a 4 to 4 filter in that scenario). Rewriting the results as filters of each interval, it would be: For test #1 *Filter 5 to 5: 800 m3 *Filter 4 to 4: 720 m3 *Filter 3 to 3: 800 m3 *Filter 2 to 2: 880 m3 *Filter 1 to 1: 800 m3 *Sum (Filter 1 to 5): 4,000 m3 For test #2 *Filter 5 to 5: 800 m3 *Filter 4 to 4: 800 m3 *Filter 3 to 3: 800 m3 *Filter 2 to 2: 1,200 m3 *Filter 1 to 1: 400 m3 *Sum (Filter 1 to 5): 4,000 m3 In the other things: *Yes, well #2 goes in (20,0). I made a mistake when writing the post. *I'm using the IDW Anisotropic modeling method. I re-made tests 1 and 2 with the close distance method after reading your answer, but i got the exact same results as the tests (Well #2 was in (20, 0)). *The only modelling option i'm using is G=color because i am not interested in getting a color-graduated model at this time. Each G value is a different color. The Surface filters are all turned off, as the boreholes all have the same the same elevation and total depth. However, i noticed when i made a test that, if i activate the surface filters, the total volume goes down to 3,600 m3. The first interval (filter 5 to 5) is 400 m3 and the others 800 m3. I believe this is because of what you say that "Some cells are nulled out". What i'm trying to figure out with this experiment is how volume accuracy is being afected by changing some parameters in the program. In this case, project dimensions and node spacing play a very important role due to what you mention of the center of the voxel being placed in the center of the nodes. However, there seems to be something additional that is also causing that the intervals are not 800 m3 each, but there is some type of arbitrary "compensantion" between the intervals (e.g, 80 m3 missing in interval 4 of test #1 are going to interval 2, making it 880 m3). Both tests were modelled with IDW Anisotropic and G=color in solid modelling options, with the exact same boreholes with the same i-data. The only thing i did different was the node spacing for each case (thus modifying the project dimensions in order to adjust the total volume summing 4,000 m3), but there should be something else causing this difference. Regards,
  16. Volume calculations

Hi Jose, What method are you using to calculate the model volumes for each G value? For example, using the volume reported in the model properties in RockPlot3D, I found that setting a Filter from 1 to 2 includes voxels with values of 1 or 2 for a volume of 1600 , but setting the Filter from 2 to 2 gives a volume of 800. Some other things to consider: Well #2 at (0,10) puts it in the middle of the west side of the area. Did you mean to put it at (20,0) in the SE corner? What modeling method are you using? With no data in the SE corner, values are estimated from the other more distant wells. Some of the cells show a gradation from 1.0 to 1.2. 1.4, ... 2.0 near the edges with the Inverse Distance Anisotropic method. You may want to use the Closest Point method for less interpolation between values in the wells. What modeling options are you using? For example, the Superface filter truncates the model based on a grid of the well elevations. Since the grid elevation coincides with the well elevations, some cells may be nulled out. Turn off this feature for this exercise. RockWorks calculates volumes by counting the number of voxels or cells, and multiplying by the volume of each voxel. When the model is drawn, the model is truncated at the edges to match the project limits when drawn using the Solid style. The model extends past the project limits when drawn with the Voxel style since the center of the voxels are placed at the edges of the model. In both cases the volume reported is the same. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  17. Volume calculations

Hi, everyone I'm currently using Rockworks 16 to do some test volume calculations in the I-data model. In my project i have 5 boreholes, 4 are separated 20 m apart forming a square and one is in the center. The boreholes are in coordinates X,Y: (0, 0), (0, 10), (0, 20), (20, 20) and (10, 10). All 5 boreholes have the exact same i-data: numbers 5 to 1 in descending order, each number in intervals of 2 m. The boreholes have a total depth of 10 m and are all at elevation 0, thus making the project a perfect cube. Calculating the volume manually yields that the solid generated should have a total volume of 4,000 cubic meters, and that each "interval strata" should have 800 cubic meters. I had some trouble getting a solid with a volume of 4,000 cubic meters using the aforementioned data, but after browsing a lot through the help i found that i had to adjust my node spacing and project dimensions so that i could get a volume equal to the area of my project, as explained in https://help.rockware.com/rockworks17/WebHelp/solid_nodes_v_voxels.htm . I have made 2 tests. In the first one i used the following project dimensions: node spacing as 0.1, Xmin=0, Xmax: 19.95, Ymin=0, Ymax=19.95, Zmin= -9.95, Zmax=0. Generating the solid yields the following iso-level values: 5: 800 m3 4: 1,520 m3 3: 2,280 m3 2: 3,200 m3 1: 4,000 m3 In the second test i used the following project dimensions: node spacing as 1, Xmin=0, Xmax: 19, Ymin=0, Ymax=19, Zmin= -9, Zmax=0. Generating the solid yields the following iso-level values: 5: 800 m3 4: 1,600 m3 3: 2,400 m3 2: 3,600 m3 1: 4,000 m3 Through manual calculation, each interval should have 800 m3, and thus the iso-level results should be: 5: 800 m3 4: 1,600 m3 3: 2,400 m3 2: 3,200 m3 1: 4,000 m3 Is there any reason why the program is arbitrarily "exchanging" cubic meters between the intervals? The only modelling options i am using are IDW anisotropic and G=color.
  18. Create 3D grid - topography

Hi Laure, To display a line on a cross-section representing a surface, create a grid .RwGrd file of the surface from 3 or more points, or from Stratigraphy or Aquifers in the Borehole Manager. Specify the name of the grid file in the Section menu Plot Surface Profile option. Generating a grid file can take a long time if there are a lot of nodes in the grid. If you run out of memory, your computer can crash. You are welcome to send to [email protected] a backup ZIP file of the project generated with the Borehole Manager File | Backup Database command. Include your RwDat or other file used to calculate the topography and the full text of any error messages displayed when the computer crashes. Larger files may be uploaded to https://rockware.com/upload Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  19. Creating a 3D model from cross sections

Hi Ehsan, You can digitize XYZ points on the 3D display, and create models from the digitized points in Utilities. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  20. Create 3D grid - topography

Hello , Sorry for my English .. How can we create a level like a roof of a sub-layer or a water level .. just a line in my section. Connect different depths between them. DATA allows to assign a text or values to each depth but I just want to connect these depths between her. I don't know if I've been clear… Is it normal that generating a 3D grid (topography) takes several hours ... It's endless. My topography's datasheet contains162000 rows…. my computer crashes all the time… What option should I choose? Thanks...
  21. Creating a 3D model from cross sections

Thanks Mitch. Is it possible to create a 3D lithology/stratigraphy model from these cross sections in addition to 3D display? Is there any option for digitizing cross sections inside RW?
  22. Creating a 3D model from cross sections

Hi Ehsan, take a look at the Utilities/Imagery/Vertical (Images --> 3D Panels). The example files are vertical_images_3D_sections_01 and 02. Mitch
  23. Hi there, I have some geological cross sections from my study area in raster format which have been drawn by geologists. I was wondering if there is a way to import them into RockWorks and create a 3D geological model using them. Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers, Ehsan
  24. "Point Sample" tool for rockworks

Hi Lionel, There are several tools in RockWorks 17 that you can use to extract data from your models. Create new boreholes where you propose to drill piles and choose the Stratigraphy | Section or Lithology | Section menus to draw cross-sections to visualize the data from your models. Use the Utilities Grid | Grids -> Stratigraphic Logs menu to extract Stratigraphy data to the new boreholes. Turn off the existing boreholes so they are not changed. Use the Utilities Grid | Statistics | Residuals menu to extract the elevation from a Stratigraphy grid at the specified XY locations. Use the Borehole Manager Striplogs | Pick Lithologic Intervals menu to pick Lithology units on a cross-section and add them to the borehole Lithology table. Use the Utilities Solid | Statistics | Residuals menu to extract the Lithology G-values at the specified XYZG locations. Regards, Tom B RockWare Inc
  25. "Point Sample" tool for rockworks

Hi everyone, On RW17, I've created my database and generated a 3D model for stratigraphy and lithology. A that stage, I'm looking for a tool that would allow me to extract the lithology or the stratigraphy at some locations that I would have had chosen (for instance, I will drill some piles in the area and I would like to assess what lithology/stratigraphy would be at those locations). If you're used to work with Surfer, I'm looking for a tool that would be similar to "Point Sample", but would add some columns in the database for every levels of litho/strati layers. Does that tool exist already? Thank you for your help ! Best Regards. Lionel
  26. Hi Anselme, sorry we don't have any license recorded for your copy of RockWorks 16. You can clarify your license issues by contacting [email protected] Thank you, Mitch
  27. Hello sir, I encounter a problem at this level: "Unable to locate grid file (C: \ Users \ flora \ Documents \ RockWorks16 Data \ New Project (5)). Missing Upper Grid Filter " I do not understand it and since then I can not progress in my work. Please, can you help me. Thank you in advance for your collaboration God bless you.
  28. Hi Anselme, Unfortunately, your version of RockWorks 16 appears to be an invalid license. Send me your RockWorks 16 registration number from the Help | About menu to get a valid license. You are welcome to download the trial version for RockWorks 17 and use it for 2 weeks. RockWorks 17 includes the WGS-84 datum for UTM projections. Click on the following link for videos for RockWorks 17. Regards, Tom Bresnahan RockWare Inc
  1. Load more activity