RockWare Support Forum

flush, reactant times and execution time

T.C. Onstott

I have been using the flush command to model flow through an aquifer and in order to simulate flow rates of .01 m/yr I have had to increase my reactant times value 100000 or higher. the execution time increases because the step size decreases as I increase reactant times so that the simulation requires 24 hours on my laptop. my question: is there any way that I can increase the step size in order to reduce the execution time. the delxi command has no affect on the step size and change the volume of either fluid also has no affect. thanks, tco

I'm using version 7 of React on a PC.

newhighGullfaksIRB70.txt

I have been using the flush command to model flow through an aquifer and in order to simulate flow rates of .01 m/yr I have had to increase my reactant times value 100000 or higher. the execution time increases because the step size decreases as I increase reactant times so that the simulation requires 24 hours on my laptop. my question: is there any way that I can increase the step size in order to reduce the execution time. the delxi command has no affect on the step size and change the volume of either fluid also has no affect. thanks, tco

I'm using version 7 of React on a PC.

Hi T.C.:

I think that decreasing the step size is a physical impossibility. In a flush model, React can only remove as much fluid in a single reaction path step as is defined in your Basis (usually 1 kg). So if you increase the "reactants times" value to 100,000, the program has no choice but to titrate your volume in 1 kg at a time, regardless of the amount of fluid you are flushing through your aquifer.

A problem like this is much more easily addressed using the reactive transport modules.

Hope that helps,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi T.C.:

I think that decreasing the step size is a physical impossibility. In a flush model, React can only remove as much fluid in a single reaction path step as is defined in your Basis (usually 1 kg). So if you increase the "reactants times" value to 100,000, the program has no choice but to titrate your volume in 1 kg at a time, regardless of the amount of fluid you are flushing through your aquifer.

A problem like this is much more easily addressed using the reactive transport modules.

Hope that helps,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.

Thanks Tom, I was afraid you were going to say that. If I could just get someone to pony up the $$ for it, I'd purchase it in a New York second. cheers, tco