RockWare Support Forum
Emma

Surface map not visible unless clicked on

Greetings:

I am new to RockWorks and am having some difficulty creating a 3D surface elevation map. I have lidar xyz file that I converted to a grid, but when I plot the grid in RockPlot 3D it is only visible when I click on it and rotate. Even then I only see point data and not a solid surface.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I try to shorten my learning curve with this new software.

Emma :D

Guest Nicole Cordier

Hi Emma,

I think that we will need a bit more information to properly diagnose the problem. Would you mind emailing me the file(s) you are working with? Also, in the Utilities are you going to Map | Grid-Based Map, or to Grid | LIDAR XYZ -> Grid?

Thanks,

Nicole Cordier

RockWare Inc

[email protected]

Guest Nicole Cordier

So as it turns out there is a slight bug dealing with the automatic project extents of the ASCII file used in this tool, but in the meantime here is an efficient work-around...

First, import your txt file into the Utilities by going to File | Import | ASCII. When you click on the Input file path, you can browse to the location of the text file. You may have to use the drop-down arrow to change the default file type for this operation (all files should be fine). Select the correct delimeter, and all other defaults should be fine.

Once the Utilities spreadsheet has data, you will now want to update your project dimensions. When the import process is almost finished, the program should prompt you if you would like to update your project dimensions. You can select to do this here, or just say no and click the “Scan Datasheet” button in the project dimensions section of the window (above the spreadsheet). Make sure to map the correct columns under the Input Columns section.

Now, you can go to Grid | LIDAR XYZ -> Grid, under input columns be sure that the correct columns from the original XYZ file are selected and that you have chosen a name for the Grid file to be created. All other defaults should be fine.

Nicole Cordier

RockWare Inc

[email protected]