RockWare Support Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anzley

Exporting .dxf

I'm having trouble exporting a .dxf from RockPlot that matches my plot in RockWorks (see attached image). When creating a grid-based map, I use a custom color table for my color intervals that is basically varying shades of red and green (see attached .tab). The map plots as I want in RockPlot with the red and green gradients, though when I export the image as a .dxf, it loses the gradient and groups the intervals (see attached .dxf). I've tried creating a custom color book in CAD but it seems that the loss of gradient may be occuring when RockPlot creates the .dxf. I've created .png's and imported the image into CAD, but this is getting cumbersome with the scaling and such. I need to be able to import a .dxf of the map with the same colors as my custom .tab. I'm using RockWorks rev. 2008.9.3 and AutoCAD LT 2009 on XP SP2. Thanks for your help.

Rockware_Sample.zip

The problem is that AutoCAD uses a different color scheme then Windows. In Windows colors are defined by a byte each for the red, green and blue components which provide 64 million colors. AutoCAD uses a color index in DXF with only about 255 available colors. While we try to match the colors in RockWorks to the indexed scheme for AutoCAD the colors aren't going to turn out the same unless you choose very carefully.

Take a look at the Index Color tab in the AutoCAD Select Color dialog to see what colors are available.

Thanks for the reply. I looked into the color tab and couldn't find a way to accomplish my task. Could've been my incompetence though. :)

I would comment that presumably people using the software are going to be doing presentations for clients, and CAD will most likely be involved as the default system for overlays of building lines, coordinate systems, ect. When limited to importing an exported TIFF, JPEG, PNG, one must live with the downsampling/artifacts that occur with importing image files into CAD (not to mention the less accurate scaling of an imported image file based on "eye-balling" snap-points). It might be worth looking into whether or not a "CAD setting" could be implemented that limited available colors for color intervals in RW14 to the colors available in CAD.

Thanks.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll add it to our list.

To get to the color dialog in AutoCAD 2006, select an item in a drawing and right click to bring up the pop up menu. Select Properties and you should now see a dialog on the left side of AutoCAD. Select the Color property and scroll to the bottom the list and click on "Select Color...". The Index Color tab are the colors allowable in a DXF. If you howver your cursor over a color it will show you it's RGB make up beneath the color table. Of course this may work differently in other versions of AutoCAD and there's probably an easier way to get there but I'm no expert.

Mitch

I am having the same kind of problem when i am exporting cross sections with boreholes logs from Rockworks14 to dxf:

the colors from my bh logs do not match the RW plots once it is in dxf. the densitiy of the patterns too.

So I also believe it would be a very good idea to add a "CAD setting" into RW.

Regards