RockWare Support Forum

Plotting data

Lisa Streit

Is there a way to export the plots produced by gtplot to another program or to import data from another program to gtplot? For example, if I want to plot empirical data currently stored in an Excel file on top of model results from React, is there a way I can do this?

Is there a way to export the plots produced by gtplot to another program or to import data from another program to gtplot? For example, if I want to plot empirical data currently stored in an Excel file on top of model results from React, is there a way I can do this?

Hi Lisa:

Sure! Many users do not know about this functionality in GWB, and it is well worth mentioning.

To export data from GWB to Excel, go to the File menu in Gtplot (or Act2, Tact, Xtplot), and choose Save Image... In the Save Image dialog that follows, under the Save as type: drop-down menu, choose the Spreadsheet File (Tab delimited) (*.txt) option, and give your file a name.

save_as_spreadsheet.jpg

You can open this file in Excel using the import wizard, and you'll have all the data from the GWB plot module available for plotting in Excel.

If you have version 7, this process is made even easier- the "smart copy-paste" allows you copy (Ctrl-C) your GWB diagram, and paste it directly into Excel or Notepad (inserts the x,y column values).

To export a plot from GWB to another application, choose one of the many other options available under the Save as type: drop-down menu. Again, version 7 makes it easier as the "smart copy-paste" feature, that allows you to copy an image directly from Gtplot (or Act2, Tact, Xtplot) and paste into applications such as PowerPoint and Illustrator in their native format. Adobe Illustrator, PDF and SVG/SVGZ are new image export formats available in version 7.

Finally- if you have column based data in another application, and you wish to bring it into Gtplot, you can save the data in a tab delimited text file, and import it as scatter data using the File - Get Scatter Data... menu option. Scatter data configuration varies slightly from one GWB plot module to another, so be sure to consult the Adding Scatter Data.... option under the Help menu for each module.

Regards,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.