RockWare Support Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Geology Research Unit@TUC

Calculating excavation volumes

I want to calculate the volume of excavated ore in a gypsum-anhydrite mine. I have created the surface topography grid as well as the expected topography at the end of the mining operations. Which tool should I use to calculate the ore that lies between the two surfaces? I have enough borehole data to create solid models but I don't know what type of model is best to use.Any ideas?

Guest Nicole Cordier

You will probably want to use a tool located in the Utilities section of the program, under Volumetrics | Extract Solid. It sounds like you have all of the necessary input information (ie Ground Surface GRD and the Post-Excavation GRD files), all you need is the solid model. I would recommend working with a lithology solid model as the input Pre-Excavation solid model, since you are working with a gypsum-anhydrite mine.

Nicole Cordier

nicole@rockware.com

If all you need is the volume between the two surfaces, you can also use the Grid --> Math --> Grid and Grid math to subtract one grid from the other, creating a thickness (isopach) grid.

You can then get the volume of the isopach grid by going to Grid --> Statistics --> Report (the grid volume would be the volume between the two surfaces).

This technique would assume that all of the material between the two surfaces is ore. If you want to differentiate between and ore and non-ore between the two surfaces, then the Extract solid tool mentioned by Nicole would be the way to go (and you would have to create a solid model of grade or some other sort of parameter).

Regards,

Alison