RockWare Support Forum
geostatnoob

Triangles in shapefile export

I have a couple of questions. Is it possible to make a p-data ESRI shapefile cross section (3D fenceplot) not have so many triangles? The ESRI exported Stratigraphic cross sections do not have any triangles in them. It would be nice if the exported cross section also did not because it takes alot of resources in Arcscene and it would look nicer too because some of these triangles are not situated along the cross section plane.

Also the contour caps on P-data or I-Data plume models could be made so there are not any triangles if possible. It would help the resources in ArcScene.

I export plan maps from Rockworks in .dxf format then convert to a shapefile. IN arcgis you can do a merge and it removes all the triangles and in doing so reduces the size of the shapefile greatly. This is difficult or impossible to do in the z direction.

Check my attachments to see what I mean.

post-184-1148505384.png

Sorry but the same routines that are used to draw the fence panels are used to generate the Shape export. I'd reccomend redusing the density of your models before creating the fence models to export.

I'd reccomend redusing the density of your models before creating the fence models to export.

This is not an option. As direct sensing technology logs in higher resolution and computing power increases software will need to keep up with this.

I don't know how responsive ESRI is but it shouldn't be too hard for them to add code for reducing 3D triangles.

I'll be adding a DXF export to RockPlot3D in the future if this is any help.

I don't know how responsive ESRI is but it shouldn't be too hard for them to add code for reducing 3D triangles.

I'll be adding a DXF export to RockPlot3D in the future if this is any help.

Basically my question has to deal with the contour intervals. Right now in the plume caps the contours are drawn with hundreads of triangles when it could be just simply a line/polygon per contour interval.

I wonder if Autocad 2006 has dealt with the problem of not being able to import surface (isosurface etc.) with more than around 50,000 polygons. Seems to be about the max with autocad. Many of my plumes have on the order of 100,000~200,000 polygon/triangles and really tax the system. My research involves the direct sensing of data at 1" intervals or less for ultra high resolution contaminant mapping.

You can reduce the triangle count by making the cap a solid color or increasing the cap contour interval.