RockWare Support Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Tarplee

ADF file extension

I have a number of DEM's, produced by the Ordnance Survey of Ireland, that have an ADF file extension. Rockworks2006 doesn't recognise such a file type (ArcView does). Is there any way I can convert the files to a format recognised by Rockworks and if so, which one is best?

Guest Tofer Lewis

RockWorks is designed to read the standard DEM format (I think it is standard). The common USGS format. Since you have a unique type of DEM, although ArcGIS can read it, you'll probably need to convert it. You may want to look at the program "Global Mapper". It reads just about everything and you can export out to several DEM or xyz formats. I have no idea the differences between the .ADF and the comon .DEM, so it might be something that RockWorks could read with some tweaking, just don't know...

Here's a link to GM...

http://www.rockware.com/catalog/pages/globalmapper.html

RockWorks can import ESRI ASCII grids so you might consider exporting them from ArcGIS.

As Tofer mentioned most of the DEM formats are fairly similar around the world however I've never see an ADF from Ireland. You can try importing it as a USGS or Canadian DEM. The worst that will happen is that you'll get an error message.

Tofer,

Thanks for the information. Global Mapper might well provide the solution. However, I do have some lower quality DEM's that I can import and should suffice, for now at least.

Cheers,

Mark

RockWorks is designed to read the standard DEM format (I think it is standard). The common USGS format. Since you have a unique type of DEM, although ArcGIS can read it, you'll probably need to convert it. You may want to look at the program "Global Mapper". It reads just about everything and you can export out to several DEM or xyz formats. I have no idea the differences between the .ADF and the comon .DEM, so it might be something that RockWorks could read with some tweaking, just don't know...

Here's a link to GM...

http://www.rockware.com/catalog/pages/globalmapper.html

Mitch,

No luck importing the files, but see my reply to Tofer.

Cheers,

Mark

RockWorks can import ESRI ASCII grids so you might consider exporting them from ArcGIS.

As Tofer mentioned most of the DEM formats are fairly similar around the world however I've never see an ADF from Ireland. You can try importing it as a USGS or Canadian DEM. The worst that will happen is that you'll get an error message.

Mark:

What kind of error are you getting? I've exported rasters to ASCII using ArcToolbox many times and then imported them into RockWorks by going to Grid --> Import in the Geological Utilities.

I do recall at one point that there was a bug in the ArcASCII import, but that should be fixed. If you are still having problems, you might simply need to update the software.

Feel free to send sample files my way.

Regards,

Alison

Alison Alcott

RockWare, Inc.

[email protected]