RockWare Support Forum
tballard

RW 2006 Legends

Producing readable legends in RockWorks has been the single most frustrating feature of the program for me and I was hoping there would be improvement in RW2006. There is, but there still does not appear to be any intuitive way to produce text in the legends that is of readable size and, for the life of me, I have not been able to figure out what the text size is tied to. I've literally spent hours and hours adjusting various legend settings to try to get it so that it is readable and usually without success. Why cannot there be a setting to adjust the text size in the legend?

As it is now, the only way I can get an acceptable text size in, say, a lithology legend, is to span the legend almost the full width of the page. To me, that is just not acceptable, as it looks terrible. But neither is it acceptable to turn out cross sections with text so small that it is not readable.

I am assuming there is some secret I am missing, but I will be darned if I can find the magic control for text size in legends.

Tom Ballard

Tom,

The original idea was to make the legends "smart" enough to scale the text relatively within the available space, so that the labels don't extend beyond the legend outlines, and fit nicely within each interval's space. I know the programmers tweaked the legends right before release of '2006 so that the dimensions settings make more sense.

For example, for my lithology legend placed in a cross section (vertical exag = 1) and with 17 litho types, I used the settings shown in the attached screen shot.

I find it easier to insert the lithology legend after the section is displayed, using the new RockPlot2D Draw / Insert / Lithology Legend option. Another tip: The new database structure of the Lithology Type Table allows the program scan for lithology types not referenced in the project (Edit / Turn off Unused Lithology) and turn them off from display in the legend. And you can manually remove the Show in Legend check-marks for any material types.

If your section is displayed with significant vertical exaggeration, this process gets trickier. For example, with a shallow project whose sections are plotted at a vertical exaggeration of 25, with 42 material types in the legend, I had to set the dimensions quite differently: I reduced the Title Box Height to 0.25 (representing 0.25% of the project extents) and this scaled the remaining rows in the legend pretty well.

ReportWorks also offers a legend option that behaves a little differently than RockPlot's. You'll need to export your lithology types to an ASCII file for insertion there, but it offers a multi-column layout that works well.

If you are stuck, you can email RockWare's support staff the RK6 file containing the profile or section you're working with, plus the ASCII version of your lithology table (use File / Export to ASCII File in the lithology type table) and we can take a look. The support email is: [email protected]

Molly

post-3-1146845698.png

Molly:

Thanks for the tips. I will try adding the legends after I have displayed the section and see if that helps but, usually, I have some type of stretching or vertical exaggeration to present the cross sections most effectively and that is where everything gets out of whack. The new window for adjusting the legend helps somewhat for adjustment of the parameters that are controllable, but it sure would be nice to have some way to control text size.

I have used the legend option in ReportWorks and it looks OK. Also, the ReportWorks legends seem to work best with lithology/stratigraphy, but not very well with things like I or P data - i.e. benzene concentrations.

I agree. It takes me 3 minuts to produce a map and then 3 hours to produce a border and title block. I really recommend that some programming time be devoted to this.

Please! :blink:

-Larry

Thanks, Larry - I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this difficulty. I was really hoping this issue would be fixed in RW2006, so I was very disappointed when it was not.

I know this is an old post, but, just wanted to chime in in the hope that it will be improved. Its a nightmare trying to produce a figure with a title block and legends. Please make ReportWorks more user friendly!

Is it safe to assume that this old thread has been addressed by the legend drawing utilities within RockPlot/2D? If not, we'll revisit the issue until it's "right" ...

Is there a way to create a template for the layout and legend of the Stratigraphy Sections. This is way too time consuming to create new labels, scale bars, and legend for every cross section that I make?

Is there a way to create a template for the layout and legend of the Stratigraphy Sections. This is way too time consuming to create new labels, scale bars, and legend for every cross section that I make?

Hi Will,

The RockPlot-2D / Utilities / Legend program will "remember" the settings such that you can essentially append a standardized legend block to every section. It's a bit painful to configure the first time but once it's done, it can be quickly reused for subsequent diagrams. The attached file (legend_ideas_01.png) provides an example.

Another (and probably better) idea is to use the ReportWorks utility. You can create a detailed page template with legends, logos, revision blocks, and then insert your diagram into the template.

Best regards,

Jim Reed.

post-9-1206744575_thumb.png