RockWare Support Forum

Export to Leapfrog

Ali shokouhi

Hi Ali,

Short Answer:  No

Long Answer:  We don't know anything about Leapfrog's file formats but I would assume that they have some kind of ASCII/CSV import routines in which case the answer could be a vague "yes".  Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to export (e.g., grids, solids, datasheets, borehole database, diagrams, etc.). 

Vague Promise:  If you can provide any documentation on Leapfrog's import or file formats, we'd be glad to add a Leapfrog export tools to RockWorks (at no charge).

Best regards,

Jim Reed

RockWare Programmer

jim@rockware.com

Hi Ali,

Thanks for the example files!  

The 1_DummyLabel_Collar.csv file looks fairly straightforward.  We can easily add a subroutine to RockWorks (let's call it "Export_RockWorks_Collar_Locations_To_LeapFrog") that creates a CSV file that looks like your example.  My only question has to do with the the DipAngle and Azimuth.  RockWorks boreholes can be curved (e.g., imagine a corkscrew).  Is this something that we need to deal with or can we just take use the DipAngle and Azimuth at the collar and assume that the boreholes are all straight lines?  If the RockWorks borehole has no downhole survey data, RockWorks assumes that it's a perfectly straight vertical line and we can leave these fields blank (just like your example).

The 2_DummyLabel_List.csv file also looks very straightforward and we can easily add a subroutine (called "Export_RockWorks_Lithology_To_Leapfrog") that creates a CSV file as per your example.  I'm assuming that there's a tool in LeapFrog to assign colors and patterns to these keywords.  Correct?

LAS files are not as straightforward.  Although RockWorks can import LAS files, it can't export to LAS.  I'm assuming that you are getting the LAS files from elsewhere and importing them into both RockWorks and LeapFrog in which case it shouldn't matter.  Correct?

Best regards,

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

Please note the following responding to your questions:

1 - Let's use the DipAngle and Azimuth at the collar and assume that the boreholes are all straight lines. We seldom do directional drilling.

2 - I’ll need to check, but assume there will be.

3 - LF already can deal with LAS file directly, so if you have LAS files from your work, it can suck them in…. my point here was around outputs from CPTs (not sure sorry what format these are in) e.g. if you wanted to show a CPT strength with depth graph for instance, this can be shown also within LF.  The LAS format will come straight in, but there are other standard LF formats for downhole testing data, which is basically (HoleID, Depth of Variable, and Variable Value – as a csv).

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Ali

Hi Ali,

The attached PDF describes a new program that is hopefully what you're looking for.  Please note the question about column titles at the end of the document.

We will be creating a test version tomorrow and I will send you a DropBox link to download this new version.

Best regards,

Jim.

Leapfrog_Export.pdf

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately it did not work and got the following error.

image.jpeg.a95334da6e82b43f444ccf49deac0b17.jpeg

The spreadsheets of lithology, Location and Pdata were built in the folder but they are empty.

In addition, could you also please add stratigraphy spreadsheet? We are contacting our client (who needs the leapfrog input) asking how to include the stratigraphy in the leapfrog.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Ali

Hi Ali,

Darn!  I have no idea what's going on.  I can have you try all sorts of stupid stuff to narrow-down on the problem but we can fix it quickly if you could please send me the SQLite database.  My email address is jim@rockware.com.

In the meantime, we will start in on the stratigraphy export.

Best regards,

Jim.

p.s. Could you have a look at my last question in the PDF and let me know what you think.

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much.

Regarding the SQL database, please let me know how can I get it to send you.

Regarding the last question in the PDF, Please note Leadfrog doesn’t need the column titles (e.g. could have different titles and would still work, or no titles). But we do need to know which columns are which – so they can be assigned to the correct element during the Import – but as long as we know the order of the columns then that is fine.

Best regards,

Ali

Hi Ali,

There's a file in your Project Folder with a ".sqlite" suffix.  For example, if yout project folder is called "Project_A" there will be a file within this folder titled "Project_A.sqlite" , ).  This is the database.  The database will always have the same name as the project folder.  They're usually not to big so you should be able to sent it as an email attachment.  If, the database is too large, you can use the Borehole Manager / File / Backup Database option to save it as a zip file within the Backup folder (located inside the project folder) and send that.

Thanks for the clarification on the column titles.  We'll change them to be "hardwired" with sensical titles which will simplify the menu and hopefully eliminate some potential confusion.

Best regards,

Jim.

Hi Ali,

I'm going to head off to bed now.  Unfortunately, I'm leaving town on Wednesday - returning on Monday so I'd really like to get everything working before I leave.  Otherwise, one of the other programmers will need to take over which means they'll need some time to understand what's been done (i.e., more delays).

In the meantime, the stratigraphy export has been added, the column titles are now hardwired, and the column-titles tab has been eliminated.  Once I figure out why it works with the Samples folder but not with your data, I'll be able to fix the problem and get you a new version.

Best regards,

Jim.