RockWare Support Forum

Updating I-Text

Vincent Verswijvel

I've recently stumbled on problems concerning the import of I-text followed by a problem with the export.

Often, I have to update a certain field of the I-text, 'Geologische formatie' in this example. Usually, I import it as an excel with multiple tables. I always choose the 'update' function in the Borehole Overwrite Options. This has always worked for me, untill now. 

The problem is, that sometimes, RW doesn't recognize an interval that is already present in RW and is given in the excel, wich ends up in RW making doubles of the same interval (see example below).

image.thumb.png.adff95cacce34541193f6babdb8d78db.png

As you can see, this is not the case for every interval, but only some.

Another problem I encounter is that sometimes, RW just remembers 'old' data when I overwrite it with 'new' data. This becomes clear when I make an export to excel and I see there 3 identical intervals, each with the data of a given time. But I do not always see these double or triple occurences in RW itself. 

Does anyone know how this happened and how I can prevent this? 

Kind regards

Vincent Verswijvel

Example_I-Text_Import_RW.xlsx

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your inquiry.

The key here is what data can be updated if the borehole already exists. From the help:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Important notes about the Borehole Manager | File | Import | XLS | Multiple Tables importer:

The Excel import tool can append to existing borehole records IF you are importing (a) new tables, (b) new tracks of multi-track tables (e.g. I-Data or T-Data), or (c) new dates for time-specific multi-track tables (e.g. T-Data). This means that data being imported that references existing borehole names can be written to the existing record's fields.

Example: If your existing database contains Location and I-Data records for DH1 and DH2, you can append Lithology data for those same boreholes.

Example: If your existing database contains T-Data for one sampling event, and you'd like to add it for a second sampling event, then you can simply import the T-Data into the database without referencing a Locations worksheet. WARNING: The program does not check for duplicates during the import process.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

The multi-track tables in the RockWorks database are I-Data, I-Text, T-Data, P-Data, and P-Text.

If you need to add new data to an existing I-Text track for existing boreholes, it is generally advisable to export the existing data for that track to Excel, add the new data you wish to import, then re-import all of the values.

Please see "scenario 4" in this topic, which might also be of help: https://help.rockware.com/rockworks/WebHelp/xls_to_bh_goals.htm

The Check Data Integrity program in RockWorks can give you a report of duplicates in the data tables, among other things. Be warned that if you let RockWorks "fix" duplicates, it will just keep the first one and delete the rest. (I'll get that warning added to the help!) 

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Molly M

RockWare Inc

• 3 weeks later...