RockWare Support Forum
Msmisitel

Import LIDAR data

Hello, I have question.

Is there some option to import tunnel shape as a point cloud to project? 

I use Rockworks 20 for my project. I have large pointcloud of tunnel with parameters X,Y,Z,G = deformation. I want to get informations about deformation to project with shape of the tunnel.

I thought that I can use triangulation surface, LIDAR - triangle mesh, or LIDAR ASCII grid, but i seems that isn't correct way. 

Could somebody help me?

Hi Msmisitel,

I suggest plotting the XYZ points with the RockWorks 2020 with the Utilities 3D | Points menu command. Use the G value in the Style | Advanced | Size & Color | Color | Proportional menu to set the color of the point proportional to the G value.

A gridded surface created with triangulation or other methods probably won't work because it requires a single Z value at each XY location. You may be able to grid the top and bottom of the tunnel separately if you can split the data set. 

Regards,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Thanks for your answer. 

XYZ plotting works, and looks fine. But for my project I need gradient maps of surface and I didn't find any way to get that.

I have problem with dividing data for griding. Griding of vertical parts doesn't work well ( it follows from griding method).

Tunnel_points.png

You may be able to filter the data by elevation to create a grid of the top data.

Next split the sides data by X coordinate running through the center of the tunnel.

Grid the sides as if they were horizontal by switching the Y and Z coordinates. The side tunnels at the front may have to be split further.

Regards,

Tom B

If your data are collected by linear scanning, you may be able to use the scan number as the Y, the index of each point in each scan as the X, and the deformation as the "Z" value to make a "flat" gridded surface, then calculate the deformation along the surface of the tunnel. This method requires that the data are listed in the order of recording or collection. The time index may also be used instead.

To visualize this method, imagine draping a tarp over the top of the data points, getting a copy of the deformation value at each point, then laying the tarp on a flat surface.

2020-10-04_14-56-48-573.png

This method may produce a grid larger than the RockWorks maximum. We have several other programs that can handle large grids.

You are welcome to send a link to your data file, and we'll take a look.

Regards,

Tom B