RockWare Support Forum
Ian Madin

grouping boreholes

Is there a way to group boreholes in borehole manager so that you can view subsets of data without having to check and uncheck dozens of boxes in the borehole list. For Example, I have boreholes that include bedrock scattered among many that do not, and I would like to look at the two datasets separately. There are hundreds of boreholes, so toggling between sets by unchecking individual boreholes would be tedious.

There are a few ways to group boreholes.

One is to add an optional field, then Filter/Select to update the Enabled flag based on the values in that new field.
Another is to create a list of borehole names either by just typing them into a text file or from the Edit menu "Save Enabled/Disabled borehole list", then use "Enabled/Disabled boreholes Based on list" from the same menu to update the Enabled flag when you want to switch.
If the boreholes are geographically differentiated you can create a sub-site (which sounds like it would not work for what you need).

Thanks, that did the trick. Tedious to go through and populate the optional field but now I can easily sort.

I wanted to add a couple of additional suggestions.

1.  An easy way to populate an optional field is to use the File | Locations -> Datasheet tool to transfer data in the Location table of the Borehole Manager Database to the Datasheet.  You would want to do this AFTER adding the optional field to the database.  You can then populate the optional field, possibly by copying and pasting, and then you can transfer the data back to the Database through the File | Transfer | Locations-> Borehole Manager tool.

2.  You might consider creating a playlist that gives you tools for turning on and off groups of boreholes based on SQL Statements.

I would recommend that you include one SQL statement that disables all of the boreholes in the database, and you can then include additional items that enable various groups of boreholes based on optional field data.  You can check on only the statements you want to use depending on the group of boreholes you want to enable.

Here are some examples of SQL statements:

a.  This statement will disable all of the boreholes

UPDATE [Location]
SET Enabled = 0

b.  This statement would enable only the boreholes with an "x" in an optional field called "HPT"

UPDATE [Location]
SET Enabled = 1
WHERE ("Location"."HPT" = 'x')

c.  This statement would enabled only the boreholes with aExample SQL Statements.RwPlaylistn "x" in an optional field called "MIP"

UPDATE [Location]
SET Enabled = 1
WHERE ("Location"."Mip" = 'x')

Obviously, these SQL statements will vary depending on the way you've set up the optional fields.  To turn on the MIP boreholes, you would check on just the first and last statement (not the HPT statement), and then run the Playlist.

I've attached a playlist with these three items so that you can download it and experiment a bit.