RockWare Support Forum

Stratigraphy data structure for stratigraphy modelling

Hi all

I am wondering how I should enter stratigraphy data when I don't know where a certain border between 2 stratigraphies is situated. 

For example, my borehole only reaches into the first layer, which I call 'A'. The reached depth is 4m and I know now that at least the first 4m are A (but it could be more, I just don't know that). The following layer is called B, but I find no evidence at this specific borehole to allocate the layer of B to a specific depth. What is the correct way to enter this data into the stratigraphy tab of the borehole manager? 

Datastructure: Depth to top - Depth to Base - Formation

Option 1. 0 - 4 - A

4 - 'Nothing' - B

Option 2. 0 - 4 - A

Option 3. 0 - 'Nothing' - A

What is my best option here to enter my data? Does Rockworks (17) make a distinction between the 3 different types of input? 

Kind Regards

Vincent Verswijvel

Hi Vincent,

Option 3 may be your best option to begin with. Since you do not know the base of A or the top of B, leaving both blank with allow RockWorks to estimate the depths for both when creating a Stratigraphy model by using the nearby boreholes.

A more rigorous approach is to use the Strat Picker (Striplogs | Pick Stratigraphic Contacts), which displays a cross-section view so you can estimate the base of A and the top of B and add those depths to the Stratigraphy database.

strat_picker6_sm2.png

RockWorks does make a distinction between your three options listed above. If a value is listed, it is used to calculate the model. If it is blank, then RockWorks uses surrounding boreholes to estimate the model.

Regards,

Tom B

RockWare Inc