RockWare Support Forum
Vincent Verswijvel

Extracting geochemical (I-data) per stratigraphy layer

Hi all

I am looking for a way to extract geochemical data from a specific layer. For example, I have put all the arsenic levels into the I-data tab of Rockworks (17) and I have a stratigraphy model.

Is it possible to know all the statistics (mean, st.d., etc.) of arsenic in a layer of my choosing? I have not modelled the geochemical data, is this necessary? 

Kind regards

Vincent Verswijvel

If you model the arsenic you'll have several choices for extracting the level data.

First you can create an I-Data Plan map for the elevation of your choice which creates a grid of the values. You can the use the Grid Statistics program on the grid.

Secondly you can use your stratigraphic layers to filter the arsenic model and then run Solid Statistics on the filtered model.

Mitch

Hi Mitch 

Thank you for your response. I will definitely look at this. 

However, it may seem a little weird, but it is not preferable to model the arsenic for my project. 

Do you think it's possible to get the statistics from the raw input, so without modelling the arsenic? 

Kind regards

Vincent

Somebody else may suggest a way to do this without modeling but if you use the Closest Point method with a small distance cutoff there will be no manipulation of the values. Just the original values and nulls.

Hi Vincent,

You can get a statistics report for the raw data using the I-Data | Statistics program. On the right side of the window, turn on "Spatial (XYZ) Filtering", specifically an Upper Surface and Lower Surface. Click the Adjust Filtering Options button to browse for those surfaces.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

Hi Molly

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for. I have, however, 1 question. Filtering my boreholes on arsenic, I get 40 non-zero values across 11 different boreholes. 

When I create the statistics report, the population (Non-null) is equal to 80. This is the exact double. Is this as intended? 

I calculated the mean myself and this corresponds to the mean in the statistics report.

Kind regards

Vincent

I'd look at your cutoff distance, half the cell size should work but if the cell size varies in the x, y  and z spacing then it will be more hit or miss.

Mitch