RockWare Support Forum

I am trying to import a DEM into utilities so that I can create a surface and pull a cross section from it. I keep trying to import the txt file and get the error “ is not a valid integer value. I have searched the text and don’t see “ anywhere in the document. Any ideas?

Hi Kahn,

It sounds like your DEM is not in the specified DEM format. You are welcome to send your file to [email protected] and we'll take a look to see if we can identify the format and recommend a conversion procedure. Include the Input Format that you select, and any information you have about your file.

Regards,

Tom B
RockWare Inc

Hi Kat,

Thanks for sending the files.

• DEM.txt has the format:
    • ELEV_M <tab> LONG <tab> LAT
    • Import this file into the RockWorks Utilities datasheet.
    • Right-click on the gray column headers to define DEPTH as Z meters and LONG and LAT as X or Y Decimal Degrees.
    • Convert the Lat/Long to your project coordinate system, e.g. UTM Zone 13 m.
    • Scan the datasheet to change the project dimensions if needed.
    • Use the Map | Grid-Based Map menu to make a RockWorks RwGrd file and 2D and 3D maps.
  • PA_069418005_POINTGRID_ZOOM.txt has the format:
    • OBJECTID <tab> pointid <tab> grid_code <tab> ELEV_FT <tab> ELEV_M <tab> LONG <tab> LAT
    • Follow the instructions above to get a RockWorks RwGrd file.

Regards,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Thank you Tom! Is there a reason that I don’t want to leave it in decimal degree? Is it better to use a UTM coordinate system? Thanks again for all of your help. 

Katherine

Hi Katherine,

Using UTM or State Plane is better than decimal degrees for vertical plot scaling, distance, area, and volume calculation.

Regards,

Tom B

RockWare Inc