RockWare Support Forum

DEM

NikosSp

Hello!

It is my first time in the forum

I have a set of almost 200 boreholes in the borehole manger, so I can make-visualize my stratigraphy and lithology volumes.

I also have a DEM of the area in an ascii file (XYZ) which I imported to the utilities

And my question is: how could i combine these two datasets? Can i incoporate the DEM to the stratigraphy-lithology data?

Thank you in advance

Nikos

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

There are many gridding options in Rockworks and the use of each one gives different results depending on the algorithm that you choose which I find to be overwhelming since none of them are particularly attractive.  I personally like the type of grids created with SURFER (Krigging) and ArcGIS (TopoToRaster).  I have not found one in Rockworks that can reproduce either of these. I would suggest that if you have XYZ data and have plotted it in another program that creates a grid to you liking that you use the Rockworks Utilities Program to import that grid using Utilities/Grid/Import and select the source data format that you have your grid in.  There you can give it a name and follow the other steps mentioned above.  To put it in shorter terms, my experience has been gridding is NOT one of Rockworks strongpoints and needs to be improved, however it does accept grids created in other programs, which is nice.

Best Regards,

Edward Hakanson

Dear Mr Hakanson.

Thank you for your comment.

My XYZ data was extracted from GIS and I just used a part of it, so it was already gridded.

About choosing the appropriate interpolation method, I think it is generally risky to perform automatically algorithms since all of them are designed for datasets with specific staistical properties. None of them is better or worse than others. But that is another big discussion....

I just finished my project but I have time to experiment so as to develop it

Thank you again.

Nikos