RockWare Support Forum
msayed

Exporting 3D solid model voxel information

Hi there, 

I am trying to extract the voxel information from my 3d solid (block) model. All I got so far is to extract the nodes coordinates in ASCII format (txt) file that includes X,Y,Z, and G columns. Is there any chance to extract or even export the voxel (cube/hexahedron) information such as the corner nodes and nodes connectivity.

Thanks in advance!

No, the solid models are just xyzg data. You can calculate the corners from the node spacing data. If you tell us how you would use this information we can make some suggestions.

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for your answer. I would like to generate an FEM model for my solid model, and to do so, all I need is the voxel corner nodes coordinates and nodes connectivity.

Msayed,

What program are you using and what kind of format are you in need of? 

Why would the center of the voxels be sufficient? Since the RockWorks model is regularly spaced and uniform, wouldn't the center of the nodes be the "same" as the corners? I would think it would only be different if the discretization of the grid was variable? 

Msayed,

Because RockWorks uses constant spacing in each direction, the connection areas and distances are going to be constant in each direction.  Regarding corners, you could shift the cell centers over 1/2 a cell distance in each direction to get a list of cell corners (you would also have to add corners along three boundaries of the model.

We do not have a specific export written that includes this information.  If you want to provide a format that is a standard for import into an FEM model, our programmers can take a look to see how hard it would be to reproduce.

Please send this type of information, along with your contact details and license information, to tech @ rockware. com.

Best  Regards,
Alison

Hi Brianna,

I am using the 3D solid model from Rockworks to conduct a linear site response analysis to study the seismic wave propagation through the different soil layers under seismic excitation. Any FEM software package usually requires: (1) the voxel corner nodes coordinates in X,Y, and Z; (2) the voxel connectivity which links the 8 corner nodes.

The available voxel data are not enough to generate the 3D FEM model as the the data represents the voxel center with the corresponding G value.

Msayed,

a workflow that works for me quite good (not sure if you can apply with the FEM software you are using)

1. Generate the mesh in the GUI of the FEM software
  2. Export gridpoints or center points
  3. import into RW using: RockWorks | Utilities | File | Import | Text
  4. run the residuals on 3D solid model you have in RW using: RockWorks | Utilities | Solid | Statistics | Residuals
  5. import the info now mapped to the grid/centerpoint of your grid to the FEM mesh

Cheers,

Julia