RockWare Support Forum

Stratigraphic Modeling, Interpolation extend

rudyabo

Dear Rockworks technical team,

I'm going to use Rockworks 17 to construct 3D stratigraphic model determined generally by 3 main layers from the top to base as follows:

Quaternary/ alluvium 

Neogene/ Limestone 

Paleogene/ Clayey Limestone

Grid and model dimensions are: 100 x 100 x 5

The Quaternary sediments fill the depressions of the model.

Modeling option:

-Inverse Distance was selected as interpolation algorithm with additional options, including Decluster (Average), Smooth (2x2), Faulted (2D Fault).

-Modeling Sequence Base-to-Top (Onlap)

-Constraining Surface: Truncate Units above ground surface/ Replace top surface with ground surface

-Hide thin Zones: 0.005

Problem:

After successful running the interpolation, the Quaternary sediment extends over the whole region despite no Quaternary deposits are recorded in the boreholes.

I tried to increase the model resolution, playing with cutoff value, using different interpolation algorithms.. but nothing is changed. (Please have a look on the screenshot)

any suggestions to bypass this issue?

thanks,

Rudy

1504536368_tmp_Rockworks.jpg

Hi Tom,

thank you so much for your quick response.

I would try the second option which seems more reasonable (giving zero thicknesses). Unfortunately, polygon clipping option requires a lot of post-processing and time for smoothing grids.

I think the most challenging issue in Rockworks is how to replicate complex stratigraphic succession. So it would be so appreciated when Rockware put Stratigraphic package on the subsequent development plan.

I'll tell you about the results.

Dear Tom,

Unfortunately, results of zero-thickness option didn't provide good results (almost no changes).

I  increased the cutoff to 1, 20% maximum interpolation distance. The interpolation continues trends for the Quaternary deposits!

For each borehole I inserted new stratigraphic formation belongs to the Quaternary as follows:

Depth to Top               Depth to Base           Formation 

1        0                                  0                               Quaternary

2        0                                  50                             Neogene

3        50                                100                           Aquitanian 

4        100                               200                          Paleogene 

The depths measured from the elevation.

please any advice?

thanks,

Rudy

1_1.gif

2_2.gif

2.gif

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your support. In the southeastern corner, the yellow Neogene deposits pinched out of the Paleogene formation once I activate the maximum interpolation distance to 20%. However, I tired with 5 and 10%, but the result was a clustered small circles surrounding boreholes.

I'll try to snap all boreholes to the surface grid elevation and see if it can solve the problem.

I will send you a copy if it doesn't work.

Sincerely,

Rudy

Dear Tom,

No changes after snapping wells to surface topography, I uploaded a backup of the project as requested (File name: Backup_Rudy.rar).

I also enclosed the shape files represent the real Quaternary and Neogene boundaries.    

Best Regards,

Rudy

Dear Tom,

thank you so much for your help.

I've just few questions:

1. Should I deactivate the option/ replace top suface with ground surface?

2. Do you construct the Quaternary top and bottom based on boreholes elevation?

3. Could you please provide me with the your modified version of the project for comparison purpose.

please accept my sincere appreciation.

Rudy

Dear Tom,

thanks for your support.

I finished the model yesterday and I pleased to share you the result I don't know why There was a problem processing the uploaded file. Please contact us for assistance "

Actually, I based on the tools: Raster calculation, Polygon clip, and substitute surface (for the Neogene and Paleogene).

Regards,

Rudy