RockWare Support Forum
Guido87

Rockworks 3D module question

Hi everyone!
My name's Guido, and im new to rockworks!

Im an italian geologist, i downloaded a trial version of Rockworks because i have to work on borehole data for a dam project and i want to give it a shot before consider purhcasing the software.
I have several types of data...i had little to no problems to populate the borehole managers with borehole data.

I would like to load also seismic refractions data in order to have a 3D view with borehole stratigraphy and the seismic lines.

Im not sure what is possible to do with Rockworks but i tried to do this:

1. I thought about digitize the seismic refraction profile in Autocad, then i oriented it in space by 'assigning' the coordinates;
  2. Then I exported my line as dxf file and imported it with 3D module.

Sadly it was not possible to see the digitized line also when i tried to export for Google Earth a prompt said "no triangles".

What does it mean? Does the 3D module need a mesh?

Guido,

If all you want is to visualize your seismic lines along with the borehole data, it will be easier and quicker to spatially georeference a raster image of the seismic line and hang that in Rockworks 3D with your boreholes. Just use the RW Utilities function of hanging a raster image on a vertical panel.  You can only hang the raster on a flat panel, so if your seismic line has bends in it, you will have to cit it up into multiple rasters and reference each piece separately. I am assuming your seismic data have been converted to depth sections and they are not time sections on the vertical axis.

The RockPlot3D export does require a triangle mesh but you can use the Utilities/Google Earth Apps to create scenes in in Google Earth. You can either display the lines directly or create an image and display as a vertical panel.

I'm back!

I used the RW Utilities function and it works. I have my seismic lines on a vertical panel.

I have a question: it seems the transparent background is converted to white...is there a chance to keep the transparent background?

example.PNG

Sorry fro the delay in getting back to you.

To get the transparency to work I'd use the Utilities/Imagery/vertical (Images -> 3D Panels) program to get the images into RockPlot3D. See the Vertical_Images_to_3d.rwDat file for an example.

You can then export the scene from RockPlot3D to Google Earth and the transparency will work.