RockWare Support Forum
Guest Yuki

Production prediction simulation

Guest Yuki

I developped natural state model and have conducted production prediction simulation with PetraSIm.

I want to output the future production rates of 40 years later. But when I run TOUGH2, error occurred with the comment of "REDUCE TIME STEP" and simulation halted prematurely.

I reduced time step, simulation was not completed nevertheless.

I don't know the reason why.

Please advise me.

I want to attach sim file, but I am not permitted to upload this kind of file apparently. So I can't upload it now.

Sincerely,

It sounds like you are running into convergence problems, but its hard to know what could be causing these problems without looking at your model. I would recommend that you look at the output file to determine what model element is causing the problem. The simulation includes information about the element with the highest residual for each time step. You might try rerunning your model with the print options for this cell turned on, so that you can look more closely at the state of the cell as the model proceeds. Its possible that it is reaching a pressure/temperature not supported by the simulator. If you continue to have problems, you can send the SIM file directly to me at Alison @ rockware.com.

Best Regards,
Alison

Guest Yuki

Thank you for your advice, Alison.

I resolved this problem thanks to you.

But I have faced new problem. I setted the production rates for 13 years as measured data in each production wells. When I ran TOUGH2 and checked the results of predicted production rate from 14th~40th year, I found that they

kept the values of 13th year in the prediction period! I guess future production rates get gradually decrease. can't we predict and calculate future production rate in PetraSim?

Sincerely,

Hi Yuki,

If you mean production of energy, yes, I would expect that to decrease over time assuming you are pumping cooler water into the model. If you mean the actual amount of water coming out of the wells, then I would think that there are many factors that are coming into play that might effect this (such as the type of production well you are using in the model). For example, are you using a constant mass out production well, or a well on deliverability production well?

Best Regards,
Alison

Guest Yuki

Hello Alison,

No, I'm using a table mass out production well without well on deliverability.I'm also using constant water/steam injection well.

Yesterday, my professor told me that I need to use the function of "Well on Deliv." in order to output the decline of future production rates as a result of simulation. So is this way correct?

Sincerely,