RockWare Support Forum
Schelhorn19

How to input the cropping out of the different geological layers

Hey,

I want to in clude in my model the information of a geological map. This means I want to tell my modell where , and which layer is cropping out at the surface.

Do I have to include this in any grid or is there another possibility?

My input data will be from a geological map in gis (shapefile).

Thank you very much

Jsocha

Hi Jsocha,

XYZ data in the DBF file associated with a SHP file can be loaded into the Utilities datasheet with the File | Import menu command.

If you are using the Borehole Manager to create your Stratigraphy model, you can add data points for surface outcrops as boreholes.

If you are using the Utilities section to create stratigraphy surfaces from XYZ data, you can add strike and dip information to be considered in the model.

Regards,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Hey Tom,

thanks for the answer. I am using the Borehole Manager to create my Solid Stratigraphy Model.

I am not quite sure how to import the surface outcrops as boreholes.

I have the borders of my stratigraphic layers from a geological map. So at the border I created boreholes of the two stratgraphic layers with a depth of 1 m. But it seems that there is no impact. My Model dimensions might be to coarse for the imput?

If I extend the borehole data to 20 m, there is an impact, but this is not true.

Or is there a better way?

Thank you

Joscha

Hi Joscha,

There are a number of factors that can cause a new borehole not to have any effect on the grid, including grid spacing, gridding method, gridding options, smoothing, high fidelity, XY coordinates, and others. You are welcome to send me a backup of the project with your files and I will take a look. Larger files may be uploaded to http://rockware.com/upload . Do not use spaces in the file name if possible.

Regards,

Tom B

RockWare Inc