RockWare Support Forum
MTetford

3d subsurface objects in Rockworks 16?

Hi,

I've been asked if I can include simplified building foundations, below ground, and/or pilings in my 3d lithology model, and have them "cut" when generating 2d cross-sections. (so, if we run a 2d cross-section through a building, we'll still see the foundation as well as the lithology). I've read about adding 3d surface objects but can't seem to find info about "pushing" these objects below ground (subsurface). Anyone know if this is possible? I'm using Rockworks 16.

Thanks,

Mira

Hi Mira,

RockWorks 16 has several options for plotting 3D objects in the subsurface, but none of these will show up on a 2D cross-section. The Utilities Grafix | 3D Utilities menu includes Storage Tanks, Triangles, and Tubes that can be plotted below the ground surface

In RockWorks 17 Advanced, you many be able to represent sub-surface objects with the 3D Faults file format, and turn on the option to display faults on a cross-section or profile.

3DFaultin2DCrossSection.png

3D fault (brown line) in 2D cross-section in RockWorks 17 Advanced.

Regards,

Tom B

post-527-0-07314900-1478811758_thumb.png

Thanks, Tom. I've now been asked about showing an excavation in the lithology 3d model. Any suggestions on how to approach that? He also wants to be able to cut through it and see it on a 2d cross-section, if possible...

Hi Mira,

You can use the excavation XYZ data with your existing ground elevation data to created a grid of the ground surface in your project area, then use this grid as a superface filter to remove the lithology above the ground surface.

ExcavationSurfaceLithology.png

Regards,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

post-527-0-26374200-1478897829_thumb.png