RockWare Support Forum

RockWorks15 to RockWorks17 Grid Converter

Schelhorn19

Hey,

i have a Grid File (.grd) of the surface elevation and I want to import this into Rockworks 17 to have a surface for my stratigraphic model. I am not able to open this. I think I need a .rwgrd file.

In the help I found this advice RockWorks15 to RockWorks17 Grid Converter, but I can't find this tool. (In the Help: Look for the RW 15 to 17 Conversion Tool shortcut which is installed with RockWorks17.)

Where can I find this or how can I proceed?

Thanks , appreciate your help.

Joscha Schelhorn

Hi Joscha

Use Windows Explorer to look for the RW15to17ConversionTool.exe in C:\Program Files\RockWare\RockWorks17. You can double-click on that EXE file to start the converter program.

You can convert grid models (.grd -> .RwGrd) as well as solid models (.mod -> .RwMod), Utilities datasheets (.atd -> .RwDat), RockPlot2D graphics (.rk6 -> .Rw2D), and RockPlot3D graphics (.r3dxml -> Rw3D). Update individual files or in bulk.

Use the Help button in the Converter for more details.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

Hey Molly,

thanks for the answer. I found the tool, but it is not quite working.

My grid file i have was created in Surfer 10. Does this also work?

There seems to be a problem with the header.

17.10.2016 13:58:01: log created for: C:\PROGRA~1\RockWare\ROCKWO~1\ROCKWO~1.EXE

time (hours:minutes:seconds) -
elapsed time (hours:minutes:seconds:milliseconds): message
----------------------------------------------------------
13:58:01 - 0:00:00:047: -- RCL (RockWorks Command Language) Processor --
13:58:01 - 0:00:00:000: -- Copyright © 1983-2016 by RockWare Incorporated.
13:58:01 - 0:00:00:000: -- All Rights Reserved.
13:58:01 - 0:00:00:000: -- Processing: C:\Users\sw_admin\Documents\RockWorks17 Data\New Project\convert_15_to_17.rcl
13:58:01 - 0:00:00:047: Closing current Dictionary: C:\Users\sw_admin\Documents\RockWorks17 Data\Zellingen_Main\System\
13:58:02 - 0:00:00:156: Data Dictionary opened at: C:\Users\sw_admin\Documents\RockWorks17 Data\New Project\System\
13:58:02 - 0:00:00:813: Creating variable lookup-table ...
13:58:03 - 0:00:00:219: -- Line:2 Primary Command = "DEFINE:"
13:58:03 - 0:00:00:000: DEFINE GRID_CONVERT GRID_INPUT C:\Users\sw_admin\Desktop\Rockworks\DGM5_utm.grd (File)
13:58:03 - 0:00:00:000: -- Line:3 Primary Command = "DEFINE:"
13:58:03 - 0:00:00:000: DEFINE GRID_CONVERT GRID_OUTPUT DGM5_utm.RwGrd (File)
13:58:03 - 0:00:00:000: -- Line:4 Primary Command = "EXECUTE:"
13:58:03 - 0:00:00:093: Executing: "grid_15_to_16" ...
13:58:03 - 0:00:00:000: ERROR: Bad header in file: C:\Users\sw_admin\Desktop\Rockworks\DGM5_utm.grd - EXECUTE::
13:58:03 - 0:00:00:032: -- Done reading RCL file: C:\Users\sw_admin\Documents\RockWorks17 Data\New Project\convert_15_to_17.rcl ---
13:58:03 - 0:00:00:000: -- Total RCL Errors = 1

Thanks , appreciate your help.

Joscha

Hi Joscha,

The Surfer software also uses the GRD file name extension, but the Converter described here is for RockWorks15 GRD files. Sorry for the confusion!

To import Surfer grids, launch RockWorks17 and use the Utilities | Grid | Import menu option to convert it to RwGrd file format.

Note that if the imported grid has different extents (min-max) and/or node spacing than you have defined for your project dimensions, you can use the Utilities | Grid | Math | Resample to resample it to your project dimensions, to match the stratigraphic grids you generate in RockWorks

Molly

Hi Molly,

very nice. I solved my problems.

Adjusting the dimensions of my grid would have been my next question. Thank you.

Now that I have created my model I have a question about the visualization and plotting.

When I want to zoom in into my model or pan it takes quite a long time rendering and redrawing the model. This makes it hard to work with.

I am wondering what are the limitations?

- the RAM ? ( i got 8 RAM)

- grafic card ? ( i got an AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series)

- or some settings

do i need some kind of CAD grafik card?

thank you, appreciate your help

Joscha

Hi Joscha,

It may be that your grid models are too dense for quick rendering in 3D. You might try increasing the node spacing (thus decreasing the number of nodes) in your Project Dimensions and regenerating the strat model (and resampling the Surfer grid). As a general rule, using a node spacing of 1/2 the minimum distance between your holes can be a place to start.

You are welcome to send us your data for review: Use the Borehole Manager's File | Archive Database to Text and email us (support at rockware.com) the resulting ZIP file. You might also include the imported Surfer grid into the zip.

Molly

Hey Molly,

thank you for the advices. I changed the the node spacing from x/y = 20 to x/y =50 and z = 2 to z = 5.

There is a quite a big difference. Rendering is much faster.

But doesnt the model loose accurency by upscaling the node spaces?

If I want to keep my node spacing, is there any way to speed the rendering up?

Does the rendering depend on the graphic card? Is a AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series graphic card sufficient?

Which graphic card would you recomment?

I sent my data to support at rockworks.com

thank you, appreciate your help

Joscha

Hi Joscha,

Thanks for sending your data.

The node spacing at 50m along the X and Y axes should work well. This is because the closest boreholes (and they are very closely spaced along the lines) are 130 m apart so 50m nodes is more than adequate density. (I created a Map | Borehole Location Map, showing the locations with symbols, and used the RockPlot2D Measure | Distance tool to measure the hole-to-hole distances.)

The node spacing along the Z (elevation) axis will only apply to SOLID models. You could leave those a 2.

Denser models are not always better - be sure to look at the hole spacing for XY and the data spacing for Z to gauge how fine/coarse your nodes should be.

Molly

• 2 weeks later...