RockWare Support Forum

Adding topography

David Young

Hi David,

I still consider myself a bit novice Rockworks user but I have found that in Rockworks 16 Level 5 that there is an option to open up Rockplot 3D from the dropdown menĂº on the upper right corner of the screen that allows you to import a dxf file directly for visualization. I have not yet found how to easily manipulate a dxf file to make necesary changes (like lines with zero elevation, for example). However I imagine that it could be done with Utilities by searching for and changing the values one by one or on the contrary reverting to the original dxf file to make the corrections.

Best Regards,

Edward Hakanson

Yes you can import DXF files for visualization in RockPlot2D or RockPlopt3D but turning these files into a grid is a bit tougher. If the DXF information contains the elevations then you can import the DXF as points and then use one of our griding algorithms to turn those points into a grid that can be used for further analysis. Without the elevations there will be little you can do without manually didgitizing thecontours.

You can't expect the contours generated from your gridded data to closely match the original contours. The best algorithm to use depends on the density of the lines on the original dxf. If they're fairly close over your area then Closest Point might be the best otherwise you'll need to use the interpolated methods (inverse distance, kriging, etc.).

• 3 months later...