RockWare Support Forum
David Young

Advisable maximum number of drill holes in project

New user here. My project has about 1000 drill holes that I could load, of which about a third are of much greater interest than the other shorter holes. It is advisable to load so many holes or will it REALLY bog things down?

Hi David,

The larger number of boreholes will not bog things down until you display your boreholes. The display in 2D or 3D could get cluttered with lots of data, but you can turn off some boreholes with after creating your models by using the check marks or filtering on a criteria with the View | Filter Boreholes menu.

Regards,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

1000 boreholes is not really a large amount of boreholes. I've been working with a database of over 7800 boreholes, many of which I'm not using at the same time. It really depends on how many you are using at once that will bog things down. A nice way of utilizing boreholes efficiently is by creating optional fields in the Location table of the borehole manager. Using the Filter as Tom pointed out will allow you to filter by these optional fields. So for example, if you have some wells that are bad quality that you may not use but you still want to include this data in the database, create an optional field called "Quality" and assign a value to each well, maybe "Good" or "Bad". You can then filter the boreholes that have "Good" in that field and in turn the ones with "Bad" will be de-selected.

Alternatively, if you have some smaller sets of holes, you can make a field that you simply put an "x" as the value. Say, you have wells that were drilled by a certain drilling company. You create a field called "Drilling_Co_X" and put an "x" as the value. Now you can filter out all of the boreholes that have an "x" in this field. Or maybe some of your wells have a different source of data, maybe geophysics or geologic log. You can set up more optional fields for these. There is virtually no limit to the number of optional fields you can have.

Utilizing optional fields can make selecting your data very quick for performing certain tasks, so I highly recommend this trick for data management of larger data sets.

-Brian