RockWare Support Forum

Creating Project Folder

krs

I couldn't find a forum for "dumb questions" so I'm posting this here. ;) I am the sys admin in a university department, and am creating a new image to be pushed out to our student computers. The OS is Windows 10, and I have installed RW 17 on our base computer. We are also using folder redirection, so that the students' "Documents" directories are on a network drive.

When I start RW 17, either as an administrator or as a student, the "RockWorks 17 Data" folder is automatically created in the Documents directory (on the network). The application's first window asks me to select a Project Data Folder, and displays the contents of the Documents directory. However, if I select the RockWorks 17 Data folder, I'm given this error message: "Project folder should be a sub-folder of the RockWorks 17 Data folder." I can find no way to create a sub-folder via this path. It's only if I select another folder -- any other folder -- that the "Select/Create Project Folder and Choose Defaults" window is displayed. From there I can change the directory to the RockWorks 17 Data folder and create a new directory.

Is this how it's supposed to work? It seems rather confusing and a bit convoluted to me. No doubt there is something simple I'm missing. Your help and patience would be most appreciated!

Hi krs,

Not a dumb question at all.

Normally, there is a "Samples" folder installed as a sub-folder of the "\Documents\RockWorks17 Data" folder - this is so that on the first time RockWorks is launched it will have a default project folder to load (and sample data to display for tutorials, etc.). Then, when you later choose Project | Create New Project, it will walk you through the new-project wizard, allowing you to create a new folder for your project data in a location of your choice.

If you have elected that the Samples folder NOT be created for the user during installation, then you will be prompted for a starting folder. This needs to be either a folder inside "RockWorks17 Data" or another folder of your choice. We highly recommend that the program be able to start up loading a folder that contains data so that the users aren't greeted with a blank project.

If you are silently installing RockWorks17 and using the "Rw17SetNetworkPath" program to push out the network license connection details to the student machines, then you can also define a specific starting project folder (and other default settings) in this manner. But the folder must already exist, such as a single instance of the Samples folder on the network. (Email support at rockware.com if you would like more details about this Rw17SetNetworkPath" program.)

If you are ghosting the RockWorks setup to your student computers, then just be sure to set the default project folder for the base machine to an existing folder on the network. This starting folder information is stored in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\RockWare\RockWorks17\RockWorks_Menus.ini - the first setting listed there.

Hope this helps. Let us know via the forum or by email if you have additional questions.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc