RockWare Support Forum
Drew Clemens

Digitizing Outcrop Boundaries for 3D modeling

What is the most efficient way to add overburden-bedrock outcrop boundaries to RockWorks for 3D modeling?

I am starting a project at a site where bedrock topography changes create isolated oucrop poking through the glacial till. The goal is to model the till thickness and bedrock topography using available well data and available outcrops. I have scanned outcrop maps and some LiDAR innterpretations done in ArcGIS (2D shape files). Before I commit to adding hundreds of ghost borings, is there another way to get the contact boundary data into RockWorks?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Drew Clemens, PG

Hi Drew,

Depending on your data, you may be able to create a grid of the bedrock outcrop elevations by taking the ground surface, filter it with Max Distance from Data or polygons defining the edges of the outcrops, and use a Utilities Grid | Filters | Limit menu command to combine surface and subsurface grids.

Regards,

Tom B
RockWare Inc

Thank you Tom.

If our GIS shop has the ArcGIS LiDAR module, I will see if I can get the XYZ boundaries through that module. If this is successful, should I then use the Utilities Grid | Filters | Limit menu command to combine surface and subsurface grids?

If this is a bust, I will try the full approach above and let you know how I fare.

Drew

USACE

Hi Drew,

If the outcrop boundaries are in a SHP file, you can import them into RockPlot2D, then click, then right-click to save each polygon to a Polygon Table.

Regards,

Tom B

RockWare Inc