RockWare Support Forum

PDF export (and others)

Edward Hakanson

Hi,

I see that the options for RW2d file export are limited to just a few choices. A PDF vector output would be really handy. I know that EMF files are vector files that can be opened and manipulated in Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator but PDF format is much more versatile.

Also, when I export to PNG or JPG format I can get a high resolution image importing it into Microsoft Word but if I save the MS Word file as a PDF the image imported from Rockworks looses resolution (contrary to any other type of file or image imported to word and then saved as PDF). The EMF and WMF file formats don't handle point data too well or import to Microsoft Word.

I see that line width and type can be adjusted fro within Rockworks but when I export the image as PNG or JPG if I increase la resolution o the image I loose line width which kind of defeats the purpose of being able to modify line widths within Rockworks when high resolution exported images do not reflect those differences in line widths.

Possibly if the images could be exported as PDF vector images this would resolve the line width and resolution issues.

Hi Edward,

we've looked into vector PDF export in the past and the problem is that the available tools have not been satisfactory. The PDF format is very complicated which makes it difficult for us to write our own export. Another more viable option might be the SVG format but I haven't seen too many editable graphics programs for this format but I would consider adding that in the future.

The scalability of the line widths is based on the output resolution.When exporting a rater file you need to consider at what size and resolution it's going to be used and adjust the scaling and pixels per inch accordingly.

Hi Mitch,

Thank you for you comment. I don't understand why PDF would be too difficult to integrate as a file export type but I suppose that there must be a reason (). On the other hand, I figured that the resolution of my images had to do something with the scalability but I have noticed that when I change the pixels per inch the program automatically changes the image dimensions. How do I manage that the image keeps its same dimensions when I change the amount of pixels per inch?

PDF is an Adobe proprietary format with no official documentation.

Hi Mitch,

Thank you for you comment. I don't understand why PDF would be too difficult to integrate as a file export type but I suppose that there must be a reason (). On the other hand, I figured that the resolution of my images had to do something with the scalability but I have noticed that when I change the pixels per inch the program automatically changes the image dimensions. How do I manage that the image keeps its same dimensions when I change the amount of pixels per inch?

The export dialog allows you to enter the Pixels Per Inch and the Size in Inches, you can easily calculate the final size of your raster image from that. At 300 ppi and a width of 4"and a height of 3" will give you a an image 1200x900 pixels.

Hi Mitch,

Thank you. I still don't understand the limitation that exists with PDF but that's OK. I perfectly understand the mathematical calculation of the pixel count so that is not the issue. However, the 4"x 3"image size that you suggest leaves me with a rather low resolution image. I have tried upping the resolution by creating an image that is 20"x 15"which increases the number of pixels (great) and gives me a high resolution image in MS Word (great). Regardless, the line widths are compensated (NOT GREAT). In other words thick lines in Rockworks are visualized as thin lines in MS Word (Bummer). Can you give me some advice on how to overcome this graphics limitation?

Hi Mitch,

As a matter of fact I have tried increasing the Pixels per inch as well as resizing the exported png file and the higher the resolution I use the thinner the lines are. That is the opposite of what I want to accomplish. I want to créate maps that show significantly thicker lines to represent specific borehole paths or faults and thusfar I have not been able too. Any other suggestions? What is the e-mail address of support so that I can send the files to you and maybe that way see the difficulty that I am experiencing.

• 2 weeks later...