RockWare Support Forum
MTetford

I-data contouring based on depth?

Hi,

I've been asked if I can contour Chloride data based on depth below ground surface (at 1m, 5m, and 10m depths, to be exact). I've already provided a contour plan, which was based on a specific elevation (horizontal slice), but my client isn't content with the result. I've been reading through the Help info and can only find references to contouring based on elevation (slices). Is contouring by depth an option somewhere? I'm using Rockworks 16.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank-you,

Mira

Hi Mira,

Make a copy of your project and change all the elevations to 0. Then the negative depth value will be the elevation slice level.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

If you have a ground surface grid, you should be able to use the Grid / Math / Grid and Constant Math tool to create grids at certain depths below ground surface. You can then use the I-Data / Surface Map option to create contours of chloride at specific depths below ground surface. If you take this approach, you wouldn't have to modify your existing project.

Regards,

Alison

Thanks for the replies. I've tried Alison's method first, since I can continue with my existing project, and it seems to be working for me. I'll know tomorrow if I've been truly successful if my client is happy :-)

As always, really appreciate the rapid responses!

Cheers,

Mira

Hi again,

I presented the chloride contour plans and it seems that the contours aren't honoring the data. We're getting a contour of, say 500, where values don't exceed 100.

In Alison's method above, in the Grid / Math / Grid and Constant Math, I set my input grid as my ground surface, set a constant of 5 (for my 5m depth), and then set "Subtract: Input - Constant", then processed to get the resulting grid (e.g. GroundSurface-5). Am I good so far?

From there, I went to the I-Data / Surface Map, Create New Model, and chose my I-data Track (Chloride). I set a new solid model name and chose GroundSurface-5 as the Surface Topography Grid. I set a name for the Output Grid, then made some adjustments in the "Contour Lines" option (set skip low values to 99, since we only want values 100 and up) and skip high values to 15000. I left the Intervals at Regular. Then processed to get the contour plan.

Does any obvious problems present based on what I've just described? If not, any ideas about what's going wrong?

Thank-you,

Mira

It is hard to know what the problem is without looking at your actual data. It sounds like you are doing everything correctly, although you should not have to "Create a New Model" each time you create a surface map. Instead, I would recommend that you use the same RWMOD file each, time and simply vary the RWGRD file you use.

You might try viewing your RWMOD in 3D along with your surface to see what kind of concentrations intersect the surface.

If you continue to have problems, feel free to send a backup of your database, along with your RWMOD and RWGRD files to tech @ rockware.com, and we would be happy to take a look. The create a backup of your database, go to File / Backup Database, and send use the zip file created during the backup process.

Best Regards,

Alison