RockWare Support Forum

Model drawdown surface

AnnaRiling

I have drawdown data from a step drawdown test for five wells for different pumping rates. I'd like to find a tutorial, or perhaps someone to point me in the right direction, for how to model a drawdown surface at max discharge incorporating the data from the five wells. Seems simple, but just thought I'd start here to get some ideas!

I have RockWorks 16, level 4.

Thanks!

Anna

Anna,

Unfortunately, RockWorks really isn't designed to work with this type of data. The drawdown tools in the Utilities calculate drawdown based on pumping rate, well radius and other parameters using the Theis equation.

What exactly are you hoping to do with this data? Would you like to approximate aquifer properties based on the results of the step tests? If you could provide additional details, I can let you know if we carry other programs that would meet your needs (Aqtesolv, AquiferWin32, etc.).

Best Regards,

Alison

Hi Alison,

I'd like to 1) simply show the cone of depression of my existing data, using water levels recorded in the field from observation wells while pumping on an extraction well; and 2) generate a model (using drawdown tool in Utilities is what I was thinking) of the data with known hydrogeologic properties plugged in.

It seems like #1 should be a fairly straightforward model of a known surface...no?

Thanks,

Anna

1. You could certainly give it a try. Just keep in mind that the interpolation algorithms in RockWorks may not create a really pretty cone around the extraction well, unless you have a good distribution of observation points around the well. This could be done by creating a list of xyz elevations in the Utilities Datasheet, and create a contour map through the Map /Grid-Based map menu.

2. I would suggest that you take a look at the Drawdown_Simplified_01.rwdat file to see how you should arrange the data. You can find menu settings specific to this data file in the Drawdown_Simplified_01.rcl file. To load these menu settings, go to Drawdown Surface/Simplified and then click on the hammer button in the upper left hand corner to load the RCL file.