RockWare Support Forum

Coordinate Issue discrepancy between Model Dimensions and Output

SethD

I am currently trying to create some 3D objects based on point data from ArcMap. The data matches the project dimensions coordinate system but for some reason the Northing/Easting coordinates of the output are different? What could be causing this? I was unable to upload pictures so I had load images into dropbox. See image links below for more info:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf41bos9uozsryu/RockWorks%20Utilties%20Tab%20-%20Input.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux3svzz8fssvr6l/RockWorks%2016%20-%203D%20Perimeter.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gehobfleudsb8ey/Coordinate%20System.jpg

Sorry for the triple post... Was not aware that the question was submitted multiple times and I am unable to figure out how to delete the duplicate posts. I found that data in the utility tab does not utilize the project coordinates specified in the borehole manager. There is a window to the right in the utilities tab where you specify the project coordinates (See image below).

post-10810-0-49350700-1404738864_thumb.jpg

To further add to this discussion, I have found that the coordinate system selected for the utilities spreadsheet does not stick if you re-import an text or excel file. Every time I import a document into the utilities spreadsheet and run a RockWorks function, the coordinate system is wrong.

In order to change the default coordinate system that is set in the Utilities tab, you need to go to borehole manager -> Location -> Other Coords. From there, click on Set Entry Defaults, and specify the coordinate you system you are interested in. Hopefully this saves everybody the trouble of finding out how to exactly do this, especially when creating .rcl scripts to import/run rockwork functions multiple times.

Just to let the RockWare staff know, I scoured the RockWorks manual and I could not find any information relating to this issue. Can someone confirm this for me?

post-10810-0-87014800-1404853199_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

SethD, thanks for your last post here. Setting coordinate defaults, that is really useful, I have been wondering where the default is coming from and was not aware of the place where to set it.

It'd be interesting if this is a RW or project setting. So if I switch the project can I set a different project coordinate system there?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Seth,

The Output (Model) Dimensions and the Project Coordinates which are displayed in the bottom pane of both the Utilities and the Borehole Manager windows, are used for all output models, maps, and 3D diagrams created by RockWorks, whether from data in the Utilities datasheet or from data in the Borehole Manager.

The right-hand pane in the Utilities datasheet ("Additional File Information") is used to define the coordinate system for the input data. For example, let's say that your project space has been defined as UTM feet, NAD-83, Zone 13. In the Utilities you've imported well locations in State Plane feet. No problem - just to define those State Plane units in the column headings AND then define the state plane zone in the right pane. Then, when you create your point map, RockWorks will translate the coordinates to UTM feet - NAD83 - Zone 13 and create your map using that output coordinate system.

Of course, if you are entering spatial points into the Utilities datasheet using the same coordinate system as your project's, that's ok too - you would choose UTM feet for the X and Y columns, and set the right pane to NAD-83 Zone 13. It's my understanding that when you create a new datasheet in the Utilities, then establish columns as X or Y Coordinate columns using your project coordinates, then the defaults for the Additional File information default to your project space. Still, it's good to check that the datasheet is not reading Zone 12 when it should be Zone 13.

The new "Set Entry Defaults" button in the Borehole Manager's Other Coords tab was designed to define the defaults for when you are hand-entering Other Coordinate data into the Borehole database, per a customer request. (He was hand-entering lots of PLSS data for eventual computation of his well locations in his project coordinate system, and got tired of having to keep setting the meridian, range and township numbers, etc. for each hole. So, the Set Entry Defaults was added to make this go more smoothly.) To my knowledge, these defaults don't affect the Utilities datasheet.

I'll bug the documentation people (um, which would be me...) to be sure this is better explained in the help. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.