RockWare Support Forum
aorr

Value field when exporting as Shapefile (from a 3D striplog plot)

Hello,

When you're exporting a shapefile of a 3d striplog model of, let's say, I-data, I get a value field. It has a number in there that doesn't correspond to the value of what the i-data sample should be. Is this a coded value that's a combination of numbers that can be broken out to retrieve what the sample data was?

I've tried looking through the Access database of my project folder for that same number and nothing comes up.

Please see the screenshot for an example of what I'm referring to.

-Andy

post-13064-0-82849700-1400787443_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy,

The numbers in the Value field are decimal color values. They are red, green, and blue components (RGB) multiplied together with the formula:

Color = R + 256*G + 256*256*B.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

I would suggest that you export the Shapefile through the File / Export menu, rather than through RockPlot3D. This will create a shapefile that contains actual contamination values. You can find a case study on the RockWorks support page that covers the shapefile export options in RockWorks. If you need a direct link to this (unfortunately, I can't post it on the forum), please contact me at Alison @ rockware.com.

Hi Tom and Alison,

Thank you for the further directions on how to best export data to shapefiles. This will be great to read through.

I tried doing the instructions outlined for Borehole data and I'm running into an error. After I run the export command for a shapefile RockWorks throws an error that says: "exception message: Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (Double)."

Any ideas on how to resolve this error?

Thanks,

-Andy

Andy,

I'd be happy to look into this. Could you tell me what type of data you are exporting (I-Data, T-Data, etc.)? Also, what revision of RockWorks are you using? This should be listed in the lower right hand corner of the program.

Thanks,

Alison

It turns out that recalculating the XYZ values through the Edit menu solved this problem for Andy. We're not quite sure why they were not calculated in the first place, so if anyone else runs into this problem, it would be helpful if you could let us know by sending a quick email to tech @ rockware.com.

Thanks,

Alison