RockWare Support Forum
aorr

Different model calculation and viewing extents

Is there a way to process a model for one large extent, but only view a smaller extent within the model in order to help increase viewing performance and responsiveness?

For instance, I have an area that has a few boreholes that are further away from the main project area. I wanted to use those to help control the lithology and stratigraphy of the model, but I only want to view and do visualization work with the main concentrated set of boreholes. Am I able to calculate the lithology model using the outside boreholes, but limit my model to only show the secondary view extent?

Also, I didn't want to start a new topic for this, but are there any plans or future for utilizing multicore/processors in Rockworks?

Thanks,

-Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, you can create a model that is a subset of the overall project space, and still use the outlying borehole data for model interpolation.

Option 1: Set your Output (Model) Dimensions to the smaller space:

If your project dimensions are currently set to the full extents of the project area (e.g. from scanning all holes) you can click on the Output (Model) Dimensions button and choose Save to File, to save the current settings to a file in your project folder. Then, type the preferred, smaller min/max coordinates right into the Dimensions prompts. (You can also disable the outer holes and rescan for the dimensions using Enabled holes only; just be sure to re-enable the holes before modeling.) You can save those dimensions to a file as well, for future reference. Saved project dimensions can be re-loaded using the Output (Model) Dimensions | Load Output Dimensions from File option.

Option 2: Override the model extents during modeling.

The Gridding Options and Solid Modeling Options windows offer a Confirm Dimensions checkbox. Activating that causes RockWorks to display a Model Dimensions window prior to modeling, allowing you to type in the desired model extents and node spacing, thus overriding the Output (Model) Dimensions settings. The only drawback to this method (versus loading/saving different dimensions described above) is the need to type in the coordinates for each model you run.

If you want to include the logs with the diagrams, you should create those separately: turn off the outer holes, use the Striplogs | 3D | Multiple logs to create the log diagram with desired columns activated, and append that to the small model scene.

We have implemented multi-thread capabilities in Inverse-Distance and Kriging gridding methods, and we'll add that to the solid modeling processes (hopefully) soon!

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.