RockWare Support Forum
Loann

Stratigraphic model - Zero thickness Layer

Hi,

I need some help in my stratigraphic model.

I have many layers in many place with a zero thickness but the interpolation (kriging) adds a thickness which is not zero.

How do I force the interpolation to pass by those points of zero thickness layer, please ? I don't want that the model adds a layer which don't exist in my data.

Thanks you very much,

Have a good day,

Loann

Hi Loann,

To constrain the Stratigraphy model in areas where a stratigraphy unit is missing, add the unit with the same top and base depth (zero thickness) to the boreholes. You can do this manually, or automatically in RockWorks 16 with the Rules & Filters section of the Stratigraphy | Model dialog box. Refer to the Missing Formations topic in the RockWorks help file for more information.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Hi,

Thanks you for your quick reply.

However, I already add the unit with the same top and base depth (zero thickness) to the boreholes.

But, I see another topic named "Modeling Pinchout points for a cross section" and maybe I found a solution.

I think that the spacing of my grid model isn't small enough to represent changes between closely spaced nodes. I will try this solution.

Therefore, I have a question on the interpolation (kriging) : How does the model interpolate my borehole's data?

Is it this method : Rockwork doesn't built the model from my borehole's data but Rockwork creates a raster of points where each node is interpolated from my borehole's data?

I sincerely thank you for your help,

Have a nice day,

Loann

Hi Loann,

The Kriging interpolation method creates a grid file, similar to a raster image, where each grid node is calculated from surrounding boreholes. Reducing the spacing between grid nodes to less than the spacing between boreholes will help to honor the data values in each borehole.

If the problem with the pinch-out is displayed in a cross-section, you may wish to use a straight-line correlation between boreholes found in the Striplogs | 2-Dimensional | Section | Plot Correlations menu command.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Hi,

Thanks you very much for your reply, it helps me a lot.

Concerning the construction of the stratigraphic model, when the grid file is interpolated from surrounding boreholes, what's happen between those grid nodes?
In 2D map, we can see many pixels but in 3D model, it seems to me that the 3D model is nearly continue. Is that Rockworks makes a second interpolation between grid nodes and no with my borehole's data ?

Once again, thanks

Loann

Hi Loann,

RockWare can do additional interpolation using just the grid file if you choose smoothing, but it sounds like you are talking about the 3D display of the model being more continuous than a 2D map. Can you post an example so I can see what you mean?

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc