RockWare Support Forum
ldavis

Setting a custom projection

can anyone provide assistance on setting up Rockworks to use a custom modified transverse Mercator projection. thanks!

Datum NAD 83

Spheroid GRS_1980

Prime Meridian 0.0

False easting 2500000

false northing 1200000

Central meridian -114

Latitude of origin 42

Unit meter

Dear ldavis,

The current version of RockWorks 16 does not have a way to add a custom projection with false easting and northing offsets. You can display your data in RockWorks, but cannot combine the data and maps with data and maps in other projections or display in Google Earth.

I have added your request for this feature to the RockWorks suggestion file.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Looking for the same capability, since we have to deal with projections not covered by RW16 a lot recently. Very much apprechiated if this feature gets added. Easiest in my opinion would be to make it able read *.prj files which are very common in this context.

Thanks,
Julia

Hi Julia,

Which projections are you using? As we add projections, we will be looking at the most popular ones first.

Thanks,

Tom B

RockWare Inc

Tom,

it's often custom or regional projections (like NZMG), that's why I suggest add possibility to read projection from a common format like *.prj (which I'm not sure now if it already gets output from RW, when exporting to ESRI format (I wanted to see, but received error when exporting, will send that separately)) or PROJ.4 library (trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki) compliant.

Cheers,

Julia

Hi Julia,

Some projections require more manipulation than others when doing coordinate conversions. Some are rotated, some use Westing and Southing instead of Easting and Northing, some seem to reverse the XY mapping, and some use a lookup table rather than a mathematical conversion. Rather than trying to support every possible projection conversion of the 1000's that are possible in a PRJ or EPSG file, we will start with the "easy" ones first.

Thanks for your reference to the PROJ.4 library. I have forwarded your reference to programming.

I will submit your request for NZMG support, and you are welcome to add to the list of projections requested.

Thanks

Tom B
RockWare Inc