RockWare Support Forum
Lara

automate volume calcuations

Hi

I am interested in generating a "function" for a 3D solid model that would allow me to evaluate relative volumes of plume vs. unimpacted soil that would be removed given increasing excavation depth scenarios.

Two approaches have come to mind so far:

1. Applying a grid filter to the solid model to cut it off at various depths and then extracting stats from the cutoff models,

2. Extracting stats for each 2D planar slice of the model and then summing stats from the appropriate slices for various cutoff depths.

I've also looked briefly at "Volumetrics/Extract solids" and am not sure how to employ it at various cutoff depths.

Both of these approaches seem to be very labor intensive in that they require manually iterating each depth level - is there any way get at the information I'm looking for more efficiently and quickly?

If it comes down to RCL programming, do you have any tips or advice on whether someone has already written a script like this, which approach would be best from a computing perspective (integrating 2D slices or filtering 3D models), or even just how best to get started?

thanks,

Lara

Lara,

I think that the Block Model Grade Statistics By Level program should give you what you want (it is a quicker way to achieve Option 2 above).

Please take a look at the documentation for this feature, and let me know if you have any questions. I think that we just recently documented this feature in RockWorks16. If you are still using RockWorks15, contact me via email and I can send you a link to some basic documentation in our revision list.

Best Regards,

Alison (Alison @ rockware.com)

Thanks for this prompt response, Alison. I'd like to check out the documentation for the Block Model Grade Statistics By Level program. I'm still running RW15 so I sent you an email.

thanks!

Lara