RockWare Support Forum

Importing Optional fields with excel into lithology

Tim Rocks

Hi,

I have added a number of new Field Names to the Lithology database table, eg colour, consolidated/unconsolidated. I have also set up the Lith Type database table with my lithology types.

Is it possible (i can't currently find a way) to import these additional Optional Field Names from an excel worksheet import into the Lithology database table? This is possible in the Location database table and I have successfully updated and imported data.

I could possibly use the I-Text database table to import this information, but it is much more suited to sitting along side the lithology data. It would also make it easier to capture the data when logging the borehole samples.

The reason I would like to do this is so I can set up a number of lookup tables in my excel sheet to limit and select the optional data types from. These could then also be queried.

Would I need to create additional Database tables to look this optional data up and can this be done?

Regards,

Tim

Hey Tom,

I have already used the concatenate function in excel and this does work well for the description.

i really wanted to have additional fields to have more descriptions (eg. texture, strength, break) and be able to query these extra fields to filter down the information easier. A comment field can't be queried for a specific word. Also wanted to create drop down boxes (same as KEYWORD in teh litholgy table) to limit the number of options and to make shore there are no spelling mistakes. There are multiple people using this database and entering data.

I could capture this info in the I-Data table, but it comes back to data capture in the field and we don't want to be clicked through multiple tables to enter the data.

Can the access database be changed in the backend or data entered via the Acces database and show up in Rockworks?

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tom,

I'd ideally like to add a new Table which hold the specific fields that the optional fields in the Lithology Table are linked to and look up.

Would creating these additional Table in the Rockworks Access database and entering data via Access cause issues when viewing the data in Rockworks? Would there be or potential to be any bug issues?

thanks again

Tim

Great thanks Alison,

So if I can confirm, if I create an optional field in Rockworks in the Lithology tab (ie. hardness) and then add a new table in Access (ie hardness) and then create a relationship in Access between the two there should be no problem.

As long as I don't change any of the existing Rockworks relationships there should be no problem?

We would have to use Access as the data entry, but could then view the info in Rockworks.

This will be of great benefit to us and logging the holes and creating the borelogs with Logplot.

kind regards,

Tim