RockWare Support Forum
Craig SS

DXF Import

Would like to send my topo.dxf file which I am having difficulty importing. Receive error message below, not permitted to upload this type file?

Thanks

Hi Craig

Are you importing into RockWorks? I don't see the error message content - can you post that?

thanks

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.

Hi Molly

Yes I tried to import dxf into rockworks without success. Assumed file is too big, tried delimiter no success. Tried to attach the file to this reply and received: "Error You are not permitted to upload this kind of file". File is mine claims topo_.dxf and 129KB. Suggestions?

Many Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig,

Please ZIP the DXF file and email it to support at rockware.com. In your email, please also specify which revision of RockWorks you are using, and what program tool you are using to import the DXF: As data into the Utilities datasheet? Or as a graphic into RockPlot2D or RockPlot3D?

(I moved this thread into the RockWorks forum.)

Thanks

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc

Hi Craig,

Thanks for sending in the DXF file via our support mailbox. I'll post my answer here as well as via email, so that our other readers will understand the issue at hand.

I believe the problem is that the DXF file does not contain any of the entities that RockWorks imports.

• The RockWorks graphic import of DXF reads these items only: LINE, POLYLINE, LWPOLYLINE, ARC, CIRCLE, MTEXT and TEXT entities.
  • The Utilities data importer reads XYZ points from these DXF entities: POINT, GEO-POINT, LINE, POLYLINE, and LWPOLYLINE

I cannot get your file to open into my CADViewer program either, with the error message, "entities in the drawing are not supported, or the drawing is empty, or an error occurred."

I would recommend opening the original drawing and resaving to DXF to utilize the supported items only. If your intention is to import the XYZ points along topographic contours into the Utilities for re-gridding in RockWorks, then you might try deleting everything in the drawing but the contour polylines.

Molly Mayfield

RockWare Inc.